Join 3,496 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Engine code P0705: any insight?
September 10, 2010 1:13 PM   Subscribe

Help diagnose my Ford Focus.

The engine light for my 2005 Ford Focus is illuminated. Pep Boys says the engine code is P0705, which apparently has to do with the transmission. I'm leaning towards ignoring it, since there are no other symptoms. Even having further diagnostics run will cost $90. Is this a bad idea?
posted by Wordwoman to Travel & Transportation (8 answers total)

Try googling "Ford Focus and p0705 engine code" to get more info on diagnostics and what you should/could do.

I did, and got this and this as some of the results.
posted by jerseygirl at 1:21 PM on September 10, 2010

I wouldn't ignore that. They made it a code for a reason, and it probably has to do with efficiency and overheating and whatnot. The engine controller likes to know what gear the transmission is in so it can adjust things correctly. It is *possible* that this kind of thing will reduce your MPG and it's *possible* it could result in powertrain damage.

If you're not game to try and fix it, find someone who enjoys puzzles and hand them the instructions.

Or bite the bullet and go to a dealership or trusted local mechanic. This is not the kind of thing you'd want the average Pep Boys or other chain store to handle.
posted by gjc at 4:34 PM on September 10, 2010

Try focus fanatics forum for a good answer.
posted by annsunny at 4:37 PM on September 10, 2010 [1 favorite]

You absolutely have to take this to a mechanic. One cause of a "transmission range sensor circuit malfunction" is a failing neutral safety switch. That prevents your car from starting in Drive or Reverse. That's really important if you don't want to accidentally kill someone when you start your car and go flying forward or backward in a supermarket parking lot. Seriously.

This is a common error. Sometimes (often) it's a simple adjustment or cleaning of the NSS. But you do not want to have the NSS fail on you. It's as important as your brakes.
posted by fourcheesemac at 7:17 PM on September 10, 2010

(Meant to say p0705 -- which is not particular to the Ford Focus as an error code, common on many vehicles -- is a "transmission range sensor circuit malfunction" specifically.)
posted by fourcheesemac at 7:18 PM on September 10, 2010

You absolutely have to take this to a mechanic. One cause of a "transmission range sensor circuit malfunction" is a failing neutral safety switch. That prevents your car from starting in Drive or Reverse. That's really important if you don't want to accidentally kill someone when you start your car and go flying forward or backward in a supermarket parking lot. Seriously.

That's what is called hyperbole. Seriously. (Unless you habitually start your car with your food pressing on the acellerator.) Just keep one foot on the brake when you start, and maybe get it fixed soon.

BTW, that theory is also easily checked - will the car start in gear?
posted by GeeEmm at 3:30 AM on September 11, 2010 [2 favorites]

It's always a good idea to fix problems with your car instead of ignoring them.
posted by Jon-o at 4:39 AM on September 11, 2010 [1 favorite]

It's not hyperbole. Every year kids get killed by cars "accidentally" in the wrong gear. A broken NSS is a serious safety risk. Serious. As in dead people.

You should *always* start your car with your foot on the brake anyway. If you're not, you're doing it wrong. That's not advice.

You don't want to rely on a visual indicator that is incorrect. Another risk of a damaged NSS is that you could accidentally put the car in R or D meaning to put it in neutral or park. Another very common accident is leaving the car running, getting out, thinking it's in P, and it starts to roll backward into traffic. I have seen that happen and cause a serious accident.

Anyway, "maybe get it fixed soon" is pretty much what I said, without the "maybe."

Among other things, not fixing it could lead to the destruction of your transmission (since the same linkage also prevents you from shifting into R from D directly, for example), and that's a $1500 job on a Ford Focus. All for a $100 (ca) adjustment you want to avoid paying for?

When your car is broken, especially when a safety feature is broken, you get it fixed. The question is sort of ridiculous anyway. You can leave a torn headliner (until it blinds you, causing an accident) or a busted radio knob. A basic safety feature has to work right.
posted by fourcheesemac at 3:55 AM on September 12, 2010

« Older I'm planning a theatrical even...   |  What's a good and safe substan... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.