Wanna make repeat trip more interesting.
September 9, 2010 4:26 PM Subscribe
Looking for suggestions for drive through the midwest of things to see and roads to take.
posted by batikrose to Travel & Transportation (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
So, we are driving from Winnipeg, MB, to Natchez, MS, Oct 1-15, truck and fifth wheel, total length 47 ft., clearance height 12'8". We have made this trip 3 times in the past 18 months, and I am tired of the primary routes of I-29 to Kansas City, then either down to AR or across to St. Louis and down that way. Considering time of year, weather, temps, and that we will be boondocking the entire way down, what are some good alternate routes for us to consider? Slightly Indirect routing is fine, we have the time!
Here are some guidelines/info:
1) Two-lane roads, curves, hills are all okay (very experienced driver with this rig), road conditions are more important (the smoother the better).
2) We prefer rural areas and small towns, avoid urban, use freeways to go through the urban areas if we can't go around them.
3) Sight-seeing: we like the unusual, nature, birds, out of the way places, interesting people, photo ops.
4) We don't eat out, so no restaurant suggestions please. Cute marketplaces, Independent used bookstores, Local music venues/musicians, and local handcrafts are all of interest.
5) Have access pass for National Parks and Monuments (i.e. free to us) so these are a plus.
6) Leaving Winnipeg Oct 1, must arrive in Natchez no later than Oct 15.
Please share any routes, roads, places of interest (including places to park overnight that have scenery and are free ... we only stay at walmarts as a last resort, we prefer former staging areas, parks, anywhere off the road and relatively safe).
Thank you much for sharing the places you know of or have discovered!