Kids of the wood

Please help me compile a list of any thriller films that involve a group of unchaperoned kids/teens in the wilderness-- specifically stories where the kids are being pursued by bad guys in the woods.

I'm not looking for any stories involving supernatural elements such as in "The Blair Witch Project" or "Hook."

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
posted by np312 to Media & Arts (20 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Wrong Turn (warning: terrible)
posted by restless_nomad at 4:51 PM on September 7, 2010

Wilderness, which I just watched last night, fits the bill.
posted by Lucinda at 4:51 PM on September 7, 2010

Stand by Me?
posted by runincircles at 5:03 PM on September 7, 2010

Is Lord of the Flies a thriller? There is certainly some action. It is the ur-version of the "kids in the wilderness" concept, of course.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 5:03 PM on September 7, 2010

Red Dawn. Sorta.
posted by clh at 5:06 PM on September 7, 2010

Red Dawn.
posted by adamrice at 5:06 PM on September 7, 2010

Wolf Creek, though the teens may be in their early twenties.
posted by Wantok at 5:09 PM on September 7, 2010

Last House on The Left. Kinda.
posted by Biru at 5:11 PM on September 7, 2010

Friday the 13th?

"Camp counselors are stalked and murdered by an unknown assailant while trying to re-open a summer camp that was the site of a child's drowning."

Not pursued through the woods, but in the woods, at least.
posted by SLC Mom at 5:24 PM on September 7, 2010

Undertow
posted by iamgoat at 5:34 PM on September 7, 2010

I suppose Cold Prey, as well as the sequel (with another one close to release) fits your bill.
They're in norwegian though.
posted by kittenstew at 5:39 PM on September 7, 2010

Also, I'm sorry for suggesting Hatchet, which is not about kids or teens. Pretty sure there are woods though.
posted by kittenstew at 5:45 PM on September 7, 2010

Psycho Killer Attack
posted by various at 6:32 PM on September 7, 2010

The Good Son? Technically the bad guy is one of the kids, but...
posted by SMPA at 6:35 PM on September 7, 2010

Bridge to Terabithia
posted by macadamiaranch at 6:46 PM on September 7, 2010

Sorry -- I missed the film bit; I haven't seen the film (the book fits your description though!)
posted by macadamiaranch at 6:48 PM on September 7, 2010

IMDB's keywords feature can be endlessly helpful in stuff like this. Here's the 'slasher flick' keyword, you should be able to find a few films. Then look up those films, look for related plot keywords and build on that.

Being user-driven, it's not entirely comprehensive but you should be able to find tons of entries like this.

Here's another, vaster keyword: Slasher. Use the keyword cloud at the right to further refine what you're looking for.
posted by Senza Volto at 8:00 PM on September 7, 2010

Night of the Hunter.
posted by brujita at 9:21 PM on September 7, 2010

If you'll extend your criteria to young adults then Harper's Island would be ideal. They spend a lot of time in woods saying things like "Oh God!".
posted by Biru at 6:54 AM on September 8, 2010 [1 favorite]

Simon Says starring Crispin Glover.

Perhaps that's all that needs to be said, but here's a little more:
It's a schlocky cheapie that I saw on Netflix Instant and liked way more than I thought I would. Lots of teens-in-woods-getting-killed cliches. Lots of Crispin. Fantastic ending.
posted by AugieAugustus at 12:35 PM on September 8, 2010

« Older I've a brand spanking new ice ...   |  It's my friend's lot to be bor... Newer »