Is there such a thing as a health insurance purchasing adviser?

I'd like help purchasing health insurance for my family and would gladly pay someone to give specific advice based on the latest laws and my specific financial and family details. Does such a service exist?

We've already purchased health insurance and are up for renewal in November. I want to make an effective decision on whether to keep the existing plan, adjust it, or purchase something else entirely. We don't have the option of getting health insurance through work.

Even though we did weeks of research before purchasing, I still don't feel like I understand the product, and especially whether it's an efficient use of our finances. It would be great to get expert advice from someone perhaps licensed to give such advice.
posted by odinsdream to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Yes, at least in the UK. Such professionals are called Financial Advisers. A qualified individual will look at your circumstances and provide a recommendation based upon them. I don't know about outside the UK.
posted by Biru at 9:07 AM on September 7, 2010

Yes, they're called insurance agents. They do have a profit motive, because they'll get a small kickback from the company for every person they sign up. If you find a good one, though, they'll do exactly what you describe - walk you through your options, and answer all your questions so that you feel confident that you're choosing the right plan.
posted by chrisamiller at 9:10 AM on September 7, 2010

Another term you can search for is insurance broker (as well as insurance agent).
posted by DrGirlfriend at 9:12 AM on September 7, 2010

Yes, they're called insurance agents. They do have a profit motive, because they'll get a small kickback from the company for every person they sign up.

I'm specifically looking for someone with no interest in the product I choose. I can already call various insurance providers myself and ask about their details. What I can't effectively do is understand the pending legislation and how it specifically impacts me.

It seems like a good analogue is a fee-only financial adviser who doesn't offer any investment services themselves. They'll gladly tell you the pros and cons in exchange for the flat fee to hear that advice.
posted by odinsdream at 10:46 AM on September 7, 2010

Yes, at least in the UK. Such professionals are called Financial Advisers.

In my experience in the U.S., financial advisers know only basic information about health insurance.
posted by odinsdream at 10:48 AM on September 7, 2010

I am starting to remember a conversation that I had with my mother in law, who actually did find this sort of service when she was looking for help with her own mother in law's insurance. I seem to remember she found this person on Craigslist (I know, but he was indeed legit). I would ask her more but she is, ahem, not speaking to me or my husband at the moment.

Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe there are blogs or boards dedicated to the uninsured and could have more info on these kinds of services? But I am pretty sure they exist although they might be people who work independently. It's certainly something I have though of doing myself, since I work with health insurance at a large hospital, so I wouldn't doubt that others have had the same idea.
posted by DrGirlfriend at 1:14 PM on September 7, 2010

« Older How can I change the color of ...   |  RelationshipFilter: being pati... Newer »