Yet another NAS question...
September 7, 2010 8:31 AM Subscribe
What's my best bet for a home NAS...?
posted by sodium lights the horizon to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I know there are a lot of questions about NAS on Ask, but I'm frankly bewildered by them.
We've currently got two desktop Vista machines, two (XP) laptops and an XP netbook. My desktop has a pair of 500G hard drives as a mirrored raid array. The problem is that one of the disks (or maybe the controller) is going nuts and doesn't seem to want to fix itself, so I'm going to bail and get a proper solution.
My requirements are...
* Two or preferably three disks mirrored.
* Very simple (or automated) reduplication if I swap a disk out
* Must be able to password protect directories or partitions easily, to allow local and guest users access to specific places.
The 'would be nice' list is simply
* Able to run BitTorrent (with schedules)
* Able to duplicate selected folders to a remote backup.
* Able to automatically grab selected folders on network machines when it sees them come online.
I know that this should be easy, but whenever I start looking at sites selling the things my eyes glaze over in the way my grandfather's do when he looks at PC adverts.
Is there anything out there that will do what I want? Or should I build something? In which case where should a guy who's built his own PCs for years start with something that seems so alien?