Happy International Literacy Day!
September 6, 2010 6:14 PM   Subscribe

Help my brother celebrate International Literacy Day with Kindergartners!

My brother is student teaching in a kindergarten class, and would like to spark their imagination to celebrate International Literacy Day on September 8th. What are some of the best new books out there to share with children in this age group?
posted by DuckGirl to Education (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

*Editing to add that he is not just looking for new books - the time-tested standard recommendations will be appreciated, too.
posted by DuckGirl at 6:21 PM on September 6, 2010

"Bats at the Library" by Brian Lies is very fun! And the illustrations are full of characters from other stories - they're just beautiful.
posted by purlgurly at 6:22 PM on September 6, 2010

In the "classics" realm, I have yet to meet the 3-6 year old (both male and female) who doesn't love the "Jillian Jiggs" stories.

Last but not least "Eliot Jones, Midnight Superhero" has also been loved by the kids I babysit who are in that age range.
posted by purlgurly at 6:25 PM on September 6, 2010

Maybe to go along with the stories, he could have them make some kind of book-related art? Perhaps puppets based on the story/stories he chooses?
posted by purlgurly at 6:28 PM on September 6, 2010

Laurel Snyder writes amazing children's books!
posted by SputnikSweetheart at 6:33 PM on September 6, 2010

How about having them make their own autobiographical books with construction paper covers, regular paper pages and yarn bindings? He can give them a guide/template to work from, something along the lines of: Title: All About [insert name]; Page 1: My name is [insert name]. I'm [insert number] years old. Page 2: I have [insert number] brothers and... Etc.
posted by hapax_legomenon at 6:35 PM on September 6, 2010

I work on this site, so am biased, but I think the lists here are pretty great:

Also, don't miss the following booklists for International Literacy Day:

Around the World
World Folktales
It's a Small World After All

posted by sa3z at 7:22 PM on September 6, 2010

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch. I attended a first birthday party today where this book was given as a gift, and everyone - adults and kids - was passing this book around.
posted by Ladysin at 8:47 PM on September 6, 2010

« Older how to become my sisters sister again   |   How do I verify if a someone actually graduated... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.