The friends dilemma

How to Move a couch two blocks in NYC?

Just bought a couch from a store two blocks away from my apt. Store wants to charge $100 for delivery which seems like a lot. Any reliable alternatives for less? It's a bit heavy - probably too heavy for me + a friend to walk it down the street.
posted by jourman2 to Home & Garden (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Have you considered investing in a forearm forklift? I've used these before and they work rather well.
posted by Bardolph at 12:58 PM on September 4, 2010 [6 favorites]

The store may have a dolly for you to use. I know PC Richards lets them use theirs if you give them your ID. If not, you can purchase or rent one at a hardware store. U-Haul also rents out hand trucks and dollies.
posted by griphus at 12:59 PM on September 4, 2010

Stop two guys on the street and ask if they'll move it with you for $40.
posted by suedehead at 1:00 PM on September 4, 2010 [2 favorites]

If it's a sleeper-sofa, I'd consider the store delivery carefully. I had two of my nephews ( big guys over 6 ft and 200lbs each) move one this summer about 150 ft from the house to the guest cottage, and it just about killed them. Maybe if you could score a commercial appliance cart, it would be doable.
posted by lobstah at 1:01 PM on September 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

My favorite MetaFilter answer for this: TAXI. Get a strong friend and one of those van cabs. Cheapest way to do it.
posted by phunniemee at 1:02 PM on September 4, 2010

Found it.
posted by phunniemee at 1:10 PM on September 4, 2010

Know anyone with a zipcar? Otherwise, check your hardware store for a dolly or those wooden-furniture-moving-wheely-things. Most have them for like $15 a day.
posted by melissasaurus at 1:14 PM on September 4, 2010

Put it on three skateboards and wheel push it.
posted by Burhanistan at 1:27 PM on September 4, 2010 [4 favorites]

Stand outside the store with a 6 pack of beer and a handful of thank you notes. People are generous. And helpful. Especially if given an easy opportunity to be so. Even in NYC.
posted by nickjadlowe at 1:48 PM on September 4, 2010

Invest in several friends and a case of beer, in no particular order.
posted by QuarterlyProphet at 1:49 PM on September 4, 2010

Hand truck. One end of sofa on truck, other end held by one or two people, depending on weight. If it's a proper hand truck, you don't need to hold onto the handle of the handtruck, the weight of the item will make it work.
posted by gjc at 2:31 PM on September 4, 2010

I moved a couch 59 blocks on a skateboard in Portland. It works great.
posted by Lutoslawski at 3:18 PM on September 4, 2010 [5 favorites]

Buy or rent a furniture dolly (or 2)
posted by buggzzee23 at 3:29 PM on September 4, 2010

Get a shopping cart or two and roll it on those.
posted by Slinga at 3:45 PM on September 4, 2010

Do you live on the first floor? Do you have an elevator in your building? Depending on your answers to those questions, and the size and shape of your couch, I would seriously consider paying the $100. In my experience, the fee may not be worth the delivery to your building but could be well worth avoiding a hike up the stairs.
posted by MrsHarper at 9:56 PM on September 4, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older Please recommend any heist/con...   |  Where to find an in-house grap... Newer »