i'm too old to see new trend.

If hipster are a thing of the past; what are now the new trend?
posted by - to Society & Culture (39 answers total) 15 users marked this as a favorite

Younger fashion trends I've seen tend to move more toward the big and flashy and heavily made up. Very glam and metallic and kinda 60s. Call it Neo Mod.
posted by The Whelk at 7:37 AM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yeah it's all very maximalist -- every previous trend remixed and amplified. In five years every kid's Facebook profile pic is going to look like it was taken by David LaChapelle.
posted by hermitosis at 7:39 AM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

Being hip these days is 25%-ish about admiring Japanese and Korean pop songs and fashion.
posted by sanskrtam at 7:41 AM on August 29, 2010

Ke$ha, Lady GaGa, La Roux et al are the current inspiration I would say
posted by 2bucksplus at 7:42 AM on August 29, 2010

I've been seeing the increasing influence of Janelle Monae and Amy Winehouse. The Winehouse thing has been happening slowly ever since she came around, but Janelle Monae seems to have compounded the effect. Guys don't seem to have any real direction at the moment.
posted by cmoj at 7:45 AM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

Maximalized retro-futurism plus a certain level of positivity and joy about the human spirit that hipsters ground to a fine powder (and ingested via sinuses.) Kids these days, in my experience, like the big loud and weird, but instead of being angry, sarcastic, or ironic about it, they're incredibly sincere instead. It's almost, but not quite as, annoying as the kids used to be.
posted by Mizu at 7:50 AM on August 29, 2010 [5 favorites]

Oh and yes, guys aren't really doing anything as specific as big big color joy big! But there is something, it almost seems ...formal. If that makes sense. once someone introduces pasiesly patterns to them it'll all gel together.
posted by The Whelk at 7:54 AM on August 29, 2010

In five years every kid's Facebook profile pic is going to look like it was taken by David LaChapelle.

What won't David Foster Wallace be right about?
posted by The Michael The at 8:13 AM on August 29, 2010 [2 favorites]

Even so-called hipsters remain to be poorly-defined. It's much easier to say definitively what the "scene" was after the trends have moved on and when we can cherry pick which traits were part of it. I guess most of us would agree that hipsters approached being cool as their job; they survived off of their parents' money; they gentrified neighborhoods; they wore vintage clothing; they were ironic and prone to rejecting trends as soon as they became part of the mainstream. The Bush era also heavily affected youth (especially American ones) from 2000-2008 - having a total laughingstock for a President made kids dejected and disengaged.

Now, as for today. Clothing tends to be crisp and new nowadays - even when it's retro - and not so much vintage or used. Irony is mostly out, although it's never going away completely (and thank god for that). Social networking is much, much, much more heavily embedded into youth's daily life than it was in 2004 or so. Internet memes are far more mainstream as cultural references go, and it's no longer a marker of "geek" culture to get those jokes.

Perhaps most importantly, that parental stream of income has mostly dried up - now kids tend to either a) actually work or b) go to grad school or c) boomerang home because they cannot possibly afford a house upon graduating college, even if they're working.
posted by Sticherbeast at 8:15 AM on August 29, 2010 [2 favorites]

Bieber hair?
posted by oulipian at 8:18 AM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

I've never been the most keen observer of whats in, but in Boston there is a lot of DIY/bike courier culture going on. The cool kids are riding in alley cat races and brewing their own beer. Lots of guys in their mid 20s discussing kitchen implements and exchanging dry rug recipes. You've got a fixie that you converted yourself for urban riding but also do a sixty-miler on an expensive 21 speed each weekend. Fashion wise, the coolest accessory is a U-Lock in your back pocket. On the surface it looks a lot like the stereotypical hipster, but nobody talks about music anymore and spending too much time on the internet means you're boring.
posted by nowoutside at 8:20 AM on August 29, 2010 [2 favorites]

Whatever the hipsters were doing two years ago.

That's how that works.
posted by Sys Rq at 8:45 AM on August 29, 2010 [6 favorites]

EMOs
posted by yoyo_nyc at 9:51 AM on August 29, 2010

To be clear, the aforelinked "Emo Hitler" image harkens from January 2007 at latest. If the "new" trend was being parodied in 2007, I think it has an uphill climb ahead of it.
posted by Phyltre at 10:49 AM on August 29, 2010

I think Sticherbeast has it. If hipster was DIY, androgynous, unshaven and narcissistic, then I think the new trend seems to be leaning towards the opposite: quality craft, bombshell silhouettes and smartly dressed clean shaven men, altruistic, optimistic, and engaged. I'm on board!
posted by gillianr at 12:30 PM on August 29, 2010 [5 favorites]

I live in Brooklyn, NY, AKA "hipster central" and none of this makes any sense to me. Except the bike/DIY thing. But that's been congruent with "hipster" in my universe since approximately 2007. So it can't be what's next.

Emo was like 5+ years ago.

Justin Beiber's haircut is a ripoff of what hipster dudes were doing in like 2002.

The earnest post-Bush administration thing petered out in approximately February/March of 2009, when Obama had become old news and not as liberal as he'd first seemed. Though I think some of that got intertwined with the DIY/earth-friendly/craftster ethos.

Lady Gaga is way too mainstream. Nothing she is doing has anything to do with anything that's going on in bohemianish circles.

K-pop not so much, but one thing that is really influential is the Japanese aesthetic. Especially the more minimalist side - Muji, Uniqlo, that sort of look.
posted by Sara C. at 12:40 PM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

Two words: Roosevelt Island.
posted by parmanparman at 12:53 PM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

Two words: Gorilla suit
posted by KokuRyu at 1:00 PM on August 29, 2010 [2 favorites]

There was someone in a gorilla suit (or maybe just the head of the gorilla suit?) at a downtown bohemian art scene party in a recent episode of Mad Men, and my thought was, "Ha, that would totally happen at a Brooklyn loft party now!"
posted by Sara C. at 1:16 PM on August 29, 2010

When I watched that scene, I thought the party looked nearly identical to the ones I went to in college in Austin. Except no big hair/flip dos on girls like at the Mad Men party.

Hipsters now seem more '80s influenced than '60s. Back when I was a young ruffian, "hipster" girls dressed more modestly than your average sorority girl, and more androgynously (pants, collared shirts, pixie hair) but now not so much. I see short short dresses, hooker heels, tons of makeup, long crimpedy hair, etc. on the hipster girls. I blame Dov Charney's sexual tastes.
posted by elpea at 2:43 PM on August 29, 2010

If I had to look at my super cool associates, the older ones have pushed into a kind of super stripped out beatnik thing, reducing their fashion to the best, most basic things - the Cayce Pollard look - with some 60s inspired cuts and such, but it's all very basic and very black and very minimal.

The young trend blazers are doing the maximalist supertoon thing.
posted by The Whelk at 2:57 PM on August 29, 2010 [2 favorites]

Yeah, hemlines are definitely on the rise. Dresses I bought a couple years ago are now clearly passe because they are at the knee, which is a good 2-3 inches longer than Today's Correct Hemline.

I don't see a lot of hooker heels or tons of makeup, but that might be a regional difference. Hair tends to be long and piled into an unkempt chignon or loose ponytail.
posted by Sara C. at 2:59 PM on August 29, 2010

And you have that subculture DiY bike guy look, which is almost a relaxed college flannel thing but everything has been tailored and fitted very, very closely. No one on any end wants to embrace baggy yet.
posted by The Whelk at 2:59 PM on August 29, 2010

How are the younger trends today different from the Club Kids scene in 80s Manhattan? Uh, I don't mean that in a "its been done" kind of way, I'm trying to get a picture. Because the 80s Club Kids seem very Gagaish to me.
posted by Justinian at 3:34 PM on August 29, 2010

It's similar, and yeah same general scenes, same age bracket, added to the fact that the actual kids today are using the limelight days are touchstones, makes sense they would be related. If I was pressed I'd say the current crop is more retro- fetishing and bigger on color, but the archetypical hipster-2000-era look goes back to at least 1995, so it's more what particular bit of fashion (bleach white hair and heavy eye makeup, asymmetrical haircuts and suits) catches on and spreads outward.
posted by The Whelk at 3:44 PM on August 29, 2010

That's because the 80's club kids are Lady Gaga's inspiration.

However, what Gaga doesn't know is that those days are long over and that's not what young people are into these days. She's still having a conversation that ended decades ago. Which is sort of interesting, in an artistic sense (and I love her pop music), but again, nothing to do with hipsters, or even "young creative people who are setting the zeitgeist in the 21st century".

In fact, I would say that part of why Gaga is such a media darling and why she influences things in the way that she does is that she's a last gasp from the generation of the Club Kids. In a sense, she's the Connie Francis of 2010 - what our parents think we ought to be listening to.
posted by Sara C. at 3:54 PM on August 29, 2010

Yeah, taking about youth culture and not mentioning the influence of word music on ...everything, is kinda strange.
posted by The Whelk at 4:04 PM on August 29, 2010

Has no one said church yet? I'd bet my moleskine on it. The quest for authenticity taken to the extreme.
posted by MrMoonPie at 4:11 PM on August 29, 2010

MrMoonPie - you might have a point. I could definitely see Unitarian Universalism, Reform Judaism, and other indie leftie compatible religious participation becoming the Next Big Thing. Then again atheism is huge right now, too. So it could go either way.
posted by Sara C. at 4:20 PM on August 29, 2010

Oh there is such a class/ social strata issue with this cause they said Hipster, meaning Usually White Young Urban People. The full on uberPrep look is still king in places, complete with Modest attire for ladies. on another end of the social scale of have the Ghost of RockBilly in the Ed Hardy look and I always think it funny when we all think of the 90s as grunge and Blossom hats, ignoring the Hip-Hop styles and clothes that have so bleed into the mainstream they're invisible.
posted by The Whelk at 4:21 PM on August 29, 2010

Also the 15 year comeback of Skirts is reaching critical mass.
posted by The Whelk at 4:34 PM on August 29, 2010

A thing of the past!? Has Pitchfork gone offline? And, for that matter, is MetaFilter closing down soon?
posted by Mael Oui at 6:40 PM on August 29, 2010

My theory. By me.

The current crop of hipsters grew up watching Gilmore Girls, and enjoyed the hell out of those rich kids with their weird "club of interesting things" stuff. Bam, they are out on their own now, and they love funny mustaches and other turn of the century looking stuff.

So, to predict, figure out what television shows (or other media) moms are forcing their surly 13 year olds to watch, and look for something anachronistic. That will be what the hipsters are doing in 5 years.

Other predictions: jorts and mullets in the next few years, and there is a 25% probability of drawn on hair in the next 5 years (head hair and/or facial hair), and/or the fake plastic Devo hair. This will be precipitated or concurrent with a shaved head look.

Possibly an ultra-50's look, like in Jill Sobule's I Kissed a Girl video. This will be (in their minds) an ironic look at the swing movement that was popular 15 years ago. Not *sure* about that one either.

I'm also betting on used and pimped out Segues.

Hipsters aren't just white young urban people. They are the subset of urban young people out making fools of themselves. They put on affectations and costumes. If you ask "what will hipsters be doing" you are NOT asking what will be popular; hipsters are always following those few people who are anti-popular.
posted by gjc at 7:11 PM on August 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

gjc - Assuming jorts means jean shorts, this is happening now in Los Angeles (specifically Silver Lake, of course).

Mullets were definitely 4-5 years ago though. The oldest Urban Dictionary definition of fashion mullet comes from 2004.
posted by lovetragedy at 10:02 PM on August 29, 2010

Lots of guys are wearing suits as a style choice, not just because they have to. If they're not imagining themselves on Mad Men, they're picturing themselves with a little of Barney Stinson's charm.
posted by surenoproblem at 10:55 PM on August 29, 2010

My own personal label (as far as the bike ridin', especially fixed gear favoring) hipsters goes has been FIXIE PIXIE. My FIXIE PIXIE label has at times morphed into PAVEMENT PIXIE. I find both labels apt as this hipster style thing looks like androgynous Tinkerbell wood fairies adapting to urban environs in denim to me. So PAVEMENT PIXIE works with or without the bike. I keep waiting for knickers to make a comeback.
posted by No Shmoobles at 7:53 AM on August 30, 2010

Told ya.
posted by MrMoonPie at 9:40 AM on November 16, 2010

Mods. This is what's coming in. That, and church.
posted by MrMoonPie at 9:13 PM on March 11, 2011

Uh, you just missed the mod revival revival. It ended a couple years ago.

Swing was the '40s, and that shit ain't coming back anytime soon. Maybe you're thinking rockabilly? That never really went away. Go to any tattoo parlour and count 'em--you'll need both hands. (They don't need the plastic Devo hair; their actual hair is already in a greased up pompadour.)
posted by Sys Rq at 11:08 PM on March 11, 2011

« Older Yes, I made up fake informatio...   |  With failing eyesight I'm cons... Newer »