Death on "Fantasy Island"?

The Wikipedia entry for the 1970s show "Fantasy Island" says that "in some cases, people got themselves killed," meaning, presumably, guests of Mr. Roarke. It's not backed up with a citation. I think I vaguely remember some "Fantasy Island" episodes that turned pretty dark, but did Roarke ever let his clients DIE while on a fantasy? I'm looking for exact episode names and brief plot descriptions. (Note: I think some guests were terminally ill, and may have died from their illness, but that seems like a different matter to me.)
posted by GaelFC to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Although I do remember that some of the episodes scared the living bejeebus out of me, I don't remember Roarke allowing anyone to die in the middle of their fantasy. The last line of the Wikipedia entry says:

[Roarke] would then inform his guests that he was powerless to stop a fantasy once it had begun and must allow the fantasy to play out until its ultimate conclusion. However, in life-or-death cases, he would inevitably interfere and ensure his guests' safety
.

That seems to directly conflict with the premise that some guests were killed.
posted by Dr. Zira at 10:23 PM on August 15, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yeah, I really don't remember anyone dying, and I loved that show. I remember one episode, in particular, where some women stranded in a desolate mansion seemed to be the victims of a serial kidnapper/killer...but of course at the end they all turned up alive.
posted by BlahLaLa at 7:51 AM on August 16, 2010

« Older Can you tell me anything about...   |  I want to make something speci... Newer »