Peach pie

I've just been given an enormous box of peaches, far more than I can eat. Please to share your best recipes for peach pie, peach cobbler, and other peachy desserts.
posted by killdevil to Food & Drink (34 answers total) 24 users marked this as a favorite

Oooh, nom nom nom.

For peach pie filling made of deliciousness:

Chop up 5-6 peaches in small cubes. Take about one cup of the cubed peaches and 1/4 cup sugar and heat up with a few droplets of water. When it's sizzling, add a paste of 3 tablespoons of flour, 1/4 cup water, and a dash of salt. Stir stir stir, cook for 2-3 minutes.

Take off the heat, add the rest of the peaches and stir. Then, pour into a pie crust that magically appeared on your counter.
posted by copperbleu at 2:48 PM on August 15, 2010

I had just bookmarked this recipe for Peach Rum Sauce when I saw your question. I'll see you either at the liquor store or in the ice cream aisle at the market!
posted by georgiabloom at 2:59 PM on August 15, 2010

I almost posted this question earlier today, as I've got 30# of peaches sitting on my counter.

This previous question may help.
posted by mollymayhem at 2:59 PM on August 15, 2010

Peach infused tequila?
posted by quodlibet at 3:00 PM on August 15, 2010

Also, thus far I've made peach sorbet, scones with chunks of fresh peach, peach jam, and peaches in white wine. On deck are peach ice cream (from The Perfect Scoop), and bourbon peach hand pies.
posted by mollymayhem at 3:03 PM on August 15, 2010

Peaches! Oh, peaches! Lovely things. If you got more I'd say can them-- I have yet to taste satisfying commercial canned peaches. But then you'd want a certain variety for canning....

Peaches and cream is the way to go, my dear. Wash and cut the peaches however you wish into a bowl, add cream, add sugar, and maybe add some sort of sweet spice (cinnamon, vanilla extract, cardamom, ...). You could also try cutting some peaches into a small saucepan and heating them on a low heat with whatever spice you like. I've read about this, and it apparently makes an improvised jam as the fruit releases its juices. Pour over ice cream, freeze and eat in slabs, or eat straight!
posted by SallySpades at 3:06 PM on August 15, 2010

I made a bunch of peach freezer jam last summer when it was clear fresh peaches wouldn't be available much longer. That way I was able to enjoy the peaches all year until they became available fresh again. Freezer jam is so quick and easy!
posted by rabbitrabbit at 3:11 PM on August 15, 2010

Do you have an ice cream maker? Peach ice cream is a great way to use peaches, and it'll keep longer than most peach desserts. I favor Ben & Jerry's Georgia Peach ice cream recipe, with one modification. The original recipe calls for cutting up the peaches, mixing with sugar and a bit of lemon juice, then letting it sit before separating the liquid, then adding the two parts separately. This is unnecessarily complicated, sometimes resulted in browned peach bits, and I also find that the diced peaches freeze into rock hard chunks.

So, I just roughly cut the peaches away from the pit, then puree them thoroughly with the sugar and lemon juice before adding the resulting liquid to the ice cream batter (i.e., the cream, milk, sugar and egg mixture). You could use either a blender (my preference) or a food processor. The result is smoother and more flavorful than the version with diced peaches. It also gives the finished ice cream a nice peachy color.

Also, I don't bother refrigerating the cut peaches for 2 hours. If you have a good ice cream maker and start with cold milk, cream, and eggs, then it's unnecessary to also chill the peaches.
posted by jedicus at 3:18 PM on August 15, 2010

If you have access to canning jars, put up some pickled peaches to enjoy this winter. You don't need a pressure canner to do this; a water bath will be sufficient.
posted by workerant at 3:27 PM on August 15, 2010

I've been enjoying peach milkshakes for dessert this summer. Vanilla ice cream, milk, sliced peaches, maybe a bit of vanilla. Blend.
posted by Green Eyed Monster at 4:00 PM on August 15, 2010

I have not tried this but am dying for someone to give me an enormous box of peaches so I can!

Grilled-Peach Sundaes With Salted Bourbon-Caramel Sauce

If you end up making it I'd love to know how it turns out...
posted by hapax_legomenon at 4:10 PM on August 15, 2010

My girlfriend and I made a peach dump cake last week. (This recipe calls for canned peaches, but it's even better with fresh ones, and almost as easy to make.)
posted by Rangeboy at 4:25 PM on August 15, 2010

My easy go-to peach pie recipe is Smitten Kitchen's. Great if you don't like a super sweet pie.
posted by snickerdoodle at 4:27 PM on August 15, 2010

Peach fruit leather. Blanch and remove skins. Cut into pieces. For every cup of peaches, add 1-2T sugar and 1 t lemon juice (or ascorbic acid to prevent browning). Into a non-reactive pot, cook until the peaches start getting soft and just boil. Pour into a blender and blend until smooth. On cookies sheets, spread parchment or plastic wrap. Pour on a good circle of peach mix and dry under brutal sun or put into your oven at the lowest setting with the door open until dry and leathery (4 hours? You can touch test the center). Dust with powdered sugar and roll up. They will keep for 6 months in a zip lock in the freezer.
posted by plinth at 4:31 PM on August 15, 2010

Oh and if you do a peach pie or peach jam - throw in a handful of sour blackberries. They act as a perfect foil to the sweet of the peaches.
posted by plinth at 4:44 PM on August 15, 2010

Grill 'em. Cut them in half, remove pit. Melt a little butter on the skin. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on both the buttered and the cut sides. Grill for a few minutes on a still-hot grill after cooking whatever meat you have for dinner.

Serve w/ vanilla ice cream. not too much.

(you do not need to scrape the grill off after cooking meat. A little BBQ sauce actually blends in nicely.)
posted by notsnot at 4:46 PM on August 15, 2010

Got a crockpot? Willing to do a little canning?

Fruit butters are incredibly easy in a crockpot; it eliminates the need to keep an eye on the stove while lava-like splatter-prone fruit simmers for hours. Peaches take a long time to cook down, because they've got a lot of juice and not as much natural pectin to thicken things up, but hey, who cares, the crockpot doesn't even heat up the kitchen.

I base my recipe on this one from the lovely and soothing Food in Jars blog (disclaimer, the blogger is a friend of mine. She's a little hesitant on the crockpot method in that past, but she comes around to it later, if you check out her blueberry butter post. Important thing is to keep it on low.)

If you don't want to fuss with canning, you can still make the peach butter and give it to all of your friends with the caveat that they need to keep it in the fridge and finish it within a month or so.

Also, grilled peaches are unbelievably brilliant. You can cheat with your broiler if you must. Wrap them in prosciutto or serrano or speck and you've got a fine appetizer.
posted by desuetude at 5:00 PM on August 15, 2010

This recipe for frozen peach pie filling uses up a nice amount of peaches per batch. I haven't baked it up from frozen yet, but the filling I tasted was nice.
posted by waterlily at 5:45 PM on August 15, 2010

Pretty sure you can make wine out of almost any fruit; I think all the equipment you should need are a large cookpot, a carboy and an airlock.

Here's some recipes.

Google Maps can help you find beer and wine supply sores in your area. Some of the larger kitchen supply stores carry the above items, too.
posted by ZenMasterThis at 6:21 PM on August 15, 2010

The peach custard pie recipe from "The Joy of Cooking" is absolutely amazing. If you have a nice, butter crust it's absurdly delicious, and it's not actually all that bard to make.

You'll need a pre-baked flaky pastry crust that's been glazed with egg yolk on the inside (just brush the crust with yolk and put it in the oven for a couple of minutes to set before you take it back out to add the filling.)

Peel the peaches by letting them sit in boiling water for about a minute, then plunging them into cold water until they're cool enough to handle. The skins should slip right off.

After that:

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat to 400F

Whisk together until well blended:
- 1 large egg or 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 c sugar
- 6 tbl (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt

Arrange in a single layer, cut-side down, over the bottom of the crust:
- 3 or 4 fresh peaches, peeled and halved

Pour the egg mixture over the peaches. Bake the pie 10 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300F and bake until the custard is brown and crusty on top and appears firmly set in the center when the pan is shaken, about 1 hour longer.

Let cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. The pie can be stored refrigerated for up to one day. (note: I've let it go for two or three without it being significantly less delicious, but it rarely sticks around that long anyway)
posted by Narrative Priorities at 6:40 PM on August 15, 2010 [2 favorites]

"hard to make," goodness. D:
posted by Narrative Priorities at 6:41 PM on August 15, 2010

Just in here to second Narrative Priorities' peach custard pie recipe. It was incredible, and gone far too fast.
posted by pts at 6:52 PM on August 15, 2010

I'm going to have to try that peach custard pie.

I just made peach strawberry ginger pie with a streusel topping, which was delicious. For the filling: peel (as Native Priorities suggested, by boiling, then plunging the peaches into cold water) and cut up about 1 1/2 pounds of peaches, and a cup of strawberries. Mix in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1-2 tsp ground ginger (depending on how much you like ginger), and 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch. To make the streusel, chop 1/2 cup pecans with a little brown sugar in a food processor. Cream together 1 stick butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar, mix in the pecans, and gradually mix in about 1/4-1/2 cup flour, until it's crumbly. Preheat the oven to 450, fill the pie crust (either home made or a frozen prepared shell), crumble streusel on top, and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 and bake another 40-50 minutes, until the topping is browned.

Also, if you have an ice cream maker, try peach ice cream. I would chop it up, and warm the peaches in a sauce pan on medium heat, with a tiny bit of sugar (maybe a tbsp or so) and maybe some cinnamon or ginger, then puree it. Chill that, then add it to your favorite ice cream base (I generally use a vanilla bean custard base, though you could make gelato too). Homemade ice cream is the best.
posted by lexicakes at 9:07 PM on August 15, 2010 [1 favorite]

Oops, I forgot the juice from 1/2 lemon in the above pie recipe. Just add it to your filling.
posted by lexicakes at 9:09 PM on August 15, 2010

My mother used to freeze her peaches.

She'd peel and slice them, dust them with vitamin C/asorbic acid (or lemon juice) so they didn't go brown, and toss them in sugar -- about 1/4 cup for every 2 cups of sliced peaches. Then she'd put them in freezer bags and lay them flat to freeze.

The result were similar to canned peaches -- the sugar forms a syrup.
posted by jb at 9:23 PM on August 15, 2010 [1 favorite]

An easy way to enjoy those peaches in the longer term, without completely changing their form, is just to slice them up and freeze them. There's no reason why frozen fruit only has to come from the grocery store - you can freeze 'em yourself!

I find this works a lot easier if you spread the slices out on a cookie sheet (that's been layered with plastic wrap or wax paper), and freeze them like that, before you dump the frozen slices in a ziploc and return to the freezer for the long run. That way, you can remove individually frozen slices from the bag, rather than have them all freeze together in a block. (incidentally, i do that with meat products too, before if freeze em.)
posted by Kololo at 9:37 PM on August 15, 2010

Alton Brown is from Georgia...I'm sure he has some tips on recipes AND storage.
posted by hal_c_on at 1:26 AM on August 16, 2010

Dry them in an oven on its lowest temp, door open, then make Mrs Balls chutney.
posted by obiwanwasabi at 2:05 AM on August 16, 2010

Peachy Puffs
Sheet of puff pastry, cut into 4 squares. Peel and then cut peaches into wedges. Put one wedge of peach in the middle of a small square of pastry and fold pastry over to make a triangle-ly type shape. (Peach usually sticks out both ends). Bake in hot oven until pastry lightly browned and puffed. Cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar ad serve! Yummmm. Make as many as you can eat!
posted by latch24 at 5:05 AM on August 16, 2010

Indeed, Alton Brown's "Good Eats" just aired an episode dealing with freezing peaches for later use.
posted by JJtheJetPlane at 6:46 AM on August 16, 2010

I bought a huge box of peaches a few months ago.
Cut them in to quarters, put them in the freezer and you have yourself months worth of frozen peach Popsicles. They are espcially wonderful if you let them melt for ten minutes and eat them half thawed...

Yes.
posted by Sentus at 10:23 AM on August 16, 2010

Peach Salsa
posted by IndigoJones at 10:44 AM on August 16, 2010

Easiest in the universe but bizarrely delicious: buy Sylvia's peach cobbler mix, the stuff that comes in an envelope with her face on it. Make with fresh peaches. Do not forget the "melted butter on top for crispiness" step. Yummm.

Aside: you can make curries and chutneys and sauces for savory (i.e., dinner not dessert) dishes. Chicken and peaches with tomato go really well; Neelam Batra has a recipe...

Peach halves with glazed fresh ginger sauce is also tasty. And you can marinate peaches by lightly boiling them for only a minute or so, skinning them, slicing them into wedges, and putting with a syrup of dry white wine or vermouth, simple syrup (herb-infused is wonderful), and maybe a bit of lemon or lime juice.
posted by ifjuly at 12:07 PM on August 16, 2010

Seconding chutney (though I have no specific recipe). Mmmmmmmm.
posted by timepiece at 12:44 PM on August 16, 2010

« Older I've been getting DVDs from Ne...   |  Where can I find more switchpl... Newer »