I want to loose the fat tire around my belly but I'm having a few problems with: motivation, timing, diet, exercise plan, and a lack of a gym. I need a some serious self-motivation advice, and some tips on how to workout without a gym. Help a guy in his 20s get where he needs to be!
Sorry, this ended up being longer than expected...
I'm 23 years old guy who just graduated from college this past May. College obviously reenforced some of my worst habits over the past four years.
I'm 5ft 7in (170.18 cm) tall. I weigh somewhere in the range of 203-213 lbs (92-96.6 kg) depending on the day of the week it seems. I've always been a bit on the big side - or "obese" if BMI is any indication... which it isn't I know... I've decided that enough is enough: I'm frickin tired of being fat. I'm tired of feeling/being unattractive. Problem is I've unsuccessfully made this decision many times before. I'd love to loose 35+ lbs (16 kg) of fat but 25 lbs (11 kg) seems more realistic at this point.
many of the fitness tips, like taking in fewer calories than you burn is what looses weight, and that it's all about proper diet and exercise. They've been drilled into me by my very fit mother since I was little. And I've read at least some parts of a few reputable diet books. [Like the hacker's diet
]. But knowledge in this case hasn't gotten me there.
My main problem (I think) is that I just don't enjoy working out. It's frickin boring
! I feel somewhat better after the workouts - usually - but that never makes me want to do them. I think I need to learn a sport or something. I hated sports when I was younger, and now I've grown to regret it. The only thing I have kinda enjoyed lately is learning how to jump rope. I'm also buying a pedometer.
Oh, and the last challenge? In two weeks I head to Israel for ten months - a country full of beautiful people, in fantastic shape... because they all joined the military at age 18. I think that is really
gonna mess with my confidence level.
So I guess what I'm looking for is:
- A LOT self-motivation advice.
- An exercise plan I can do without access to a gym - that is fun
and I'll want
to do. I won't be in major cities most of the time, so no gyms, no scales, no dumbbells, no mats. I will bring my jump rope and pedometer though.
- I've never been a runner, and I think it'd be awesome to figure out how to get myself to do this [couch to 5k running plan]
- Some suggestions on good short-term goals I should set for myself. So that I can have a sense of accomplishment. When I mean short term I'm thinking something I can see within a month - don't care what it is just something
- I need a way to convince myself not to grab the cookie, or milkshake, or fries or hamburger. How do people actually get themselves to stick to a smart, sensible diet?
- How do people organize themselves to keep to a workout/diet schedule?
My overall goal is to get back from Israel in ten months and be happy
with the way I look for the first time in my life. And to have the confidence that the some girl across the bar finds me as attractive as I find her.