Birth control without hormones?
July 30, 2010 4:05 PM Subscribe
I hate the idea of taking hormonal BC. Am I crazy, and what are my other options?
Quick stats: 20, never been pregnant and never want to be, no health problems, not on medications, never used any birth control besides rubbers.
I want a back-up method of birth control. Most girls I know are on the pill or the ring or whatever, but I hate the idea of taking hormones because:
1. I am a light/social smoker.
2. My sex drive is already on the low side, so I'd rather not screw with it.
3. I am pretty happy with my current menstrual cycle (pretty regular, not too heavy, almost no PMS symptoms). And this is going to sound pretty weird, but around ovulation I get this boost of energy and productivity where I'm more creative and get a lot done AND always have the best sex. I don't want to lose my awesome days of the month!
4. I read all these studies about the effects on hormonal BC on attraction and they scare me. Women on the pill prefer different and more feminine men, apparently. I don't want to become less attracted to my great and not very feminine boyfriend because my body thinks it's pregnant.
My other options seem to be:
1. Cervical caps and diaphragms - are these horribly out of date? Never heard of anyone using one
2. Sponge - sounds pretty awful/gross/like it would give me infections
3. Copper IUD - this sounded great to me, but apparently it rejects a lot in young women who haven't given birth?
4. Rhythm Method - not a fan because it would mean not having sex during awesome ovulation days
Please tell me if I am being stupid for not wanting to take hormones. My friends think I am mad and should just quit smoking and get my ass on the pill like everyone else. Advice on my non-hormonal options also appreciated. I'm not even sure where to get these, or how I would explain to a doctor. I live in Canada, by the way.