Is my 20-month-old linguistically delayed or am I paranoid?
July 28, 2010 10:46 AM Subscribe
Internet people that are not doctors, am I being overly anxious about my toddler's lack of speech?
posted by k8t to Education (41 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My (only child) 20-month-old has always been on track (for what it's worth) developmentally. Language-wise, he's not quite there.
What he does say:
He regularly says: no, Mommy, Daddy, "ba" for book, bottle, "wa wa" for water, "all done", "nig-nig" for being tired, "bye-bye," "bubble," "nose," "noc" for knock, and "pe" for please.
and SOMETIMES says "doggy" (although this stopped for the past 3 months) "ditty" for kitty (irregularly), "ba" for balloon, "bow wow," "ba" for belly button, "ba" for bird, "ba" for ball, "do" for door and a few signal words "oodoom" for vacuum (recently stopped), a-ta for fan or anything hanging from ceiling.
He doesn't know any animal names, but can point to them in books and has for a few months. He doesn't know any body parts except for nose, but can point it them and has been able to fo ra few months. He doesn't do any animal sounds. He can't say hi. He can't say yes.
The only 2 word phrase is "bye bye daddy" when he wants to go to bed with me alone.
When I ask him to say something "can you say bird?" he doesn't reply.
- He can recognize, for example my shoes versus his dad's shoes, and will say "Daddy" or "Mommy" when appropriate for the object.
- He does follow directions and understands things "shut the door to the fridge" "get your shoes" "get daddy's shoes" "do you want to draw."
- When he wants something he points and grunts and I say "use your words" and he doesn't use the words.
- Daycare uses lots of signs and he signs for "please' "more" and "all done."
- He started singing in the last month, but just babble.
- We read ALL THE TIME.
When we hang out with other kids (or see Facebook updates) it seems that all the other 20-month-olds are leaps and bounds ahead of him language-wise.
So, MeFi, is he normal? I don't have any frame of reference beyond our friend circle and what I've read online (which varies greatly.)
I called the doctor already. I've asked daycare and they say that he is behind but they're not freaking out.