Surprise! I has a dog.
July 20, 2010 12:27 PM Subscribe
Yesterday, my girlfriend of two years bought a puppy that, due to circumstances, she really shouldn't have. What now?
I love dogs and I think that, given the right circumstances, getting a puppy can be an awesome thing to do, especially one this cute. Unfortunately there are just so many reasons why buying one now is such a bad idea. Consider the following:
1. She lives in a small apartment with two of my friends (with one more roommate maybe moving in next week) and two cats (plus a third cat from the new roommate). Can you say crowded?
2. She told no one she was going to get this dog. Sure she mentioned a dog she wanted, but actually going out and buying it is another thing entirely.
3. Naturally, the roommates who had no idea they were about to get a puppy without being consulted with are furious. They're the type who are extremely hard to upset, but this did the job nicely.
4. Her insane classes take her away from home for solid 10 hour blocks every day and sometimes require longer shifts or overnights. When does puppy get to go on walks in that schedule?
5. Her response to her roommate's protests: "I'll just keep it in my room all of the time." That strikes me as just about the worst idea, a dog has got to run and ramble.
6. This puppy came from a big chain pet store that I've heard is basically a puppy mill. This is unfortunate, but maybe taking the puppy back would be even more unfortunate.
7. Puppy was probably hella expensive. Especially for someone who basically lives on student loans and credit cards and has no real job or income.
The whole situation is pretty shitty. Literally everyone involved is upset with her over the puppy purchase (well, except maybe the one friend who totally played the puppy enabler role). I'm worried about the welfare of the puppy and I'm also worried this event (as well as a handful of past events) have got me seriously doubting the sanity and stability of my girlfriend. She seemed to have no idea of the burden that this puppy would place on those around her and almost no regard whatsoever for her roommate's protests.
I haven't spoken to her since yesterday's "surprise, here is a puppy!" meet and greet because I'm kind of waiting to get my ducks in row about how to handle the situation. Any advice Mefites?