Help me pick the right birth control please.
July 18, 2010 9:17 PM Subscribe
How do I find the right birth control for me?
posted by firstname.lastname@example.org to health & fitness (27 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I just entered into my first monogamous relationship and am looking for the best birth control option. The abundant information online is a bit overwhelming, so I've decided to come here. I don't know if there is an option that would contain all of the following things, but ideally this is what I am looking for...
- Does NOT cause weight gain-this is mandatory
- Does NOT affect the chances of me getting pregnant when I go off. I have no children and have no plans to get pregnant in the very near future, but I know having children is definitely something I want to do... possibly within the next 5 years- this is also mandatory
- Does NOT cause decreased sex drive
- I would be more than happy if I had fewer periods/no periods.
- Obviously the lower the rate of accidental pregnancy, the better.
A few other things about me:
- I am 22
- I tend to get UTI's, bacterial infections, and yeast infections fairly easily.
- I get pretty bad menstrual cramps, but they only last for the first 2 days or so.- I don't really care if the birth control helps with this; the cramps are manageable.
- I am a vegan. I have no idea why that would matter but just in case I would need to supplement something in my diet maybe? I don't know...
- I have no other health issues.
So far I've found that Seasonique, ParaGard, and possibly Mirena are potentially good options. If you have negative or positive experiences with these I'd love to hear.
Lastly, the main reason I would be going on birth control is so that we would no longer have to use condoms. How safe is condomless sex if I am on some kind of birth control?