Who was this artist?

I'm an illustrator looking for more material from an artist whose work I admire. The problem is -- I don't know his/her name.

I have in my resource files an old copy of a one-shot magazine called THE BAR AND PARTY GUIDE, published back in 1972 from Sirkay Publishing in LA CA. Sirkay is better known as the publisher of a bunch of soft-core photomags like Knight, Adam, and so on. Here's their page on vintagegirliemags.com.

The Bar and Party Guide has some nifty 2-color half-tone cartoon illustrations by an uncredited hand. They're really good, to my eye. Sirkay presented guys like Bill Ward, but this isn't Ward. It's a real long-shot for me to ask this question here, but I'm hoping some knowledgeable MeFite will be able to tell me a) who this guy/gal was, and b) whether or not there is more of his/her work available.

If you want I will scan in and post some of the drawings.
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit to Media & Arts (9 answers total)

We will definitely need scans of the art in order to identify the artist.
posted by Thorzdad at 7:27 AM on July 9, 2010

http://www.alsirois.com/2009/ArtAndDesign/barPartyGuide.html
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 7:59 AM on July 9, 2010

Let me know if you need more. The art is mostly full- or double-page, with some smaller vignettes.
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 8:00 AM on July 9, 2010

Try emailing this guy. It also is worth a try to ask some of the discussion groups on LibraryThing, I've good luck identifying book cover artists there before.
posted by marxchivist at 8:38 PM on July 9, 2010

Jim Linderman might be someone else to try...
posted by peagood at 9:00 AM on July 11, 2010

Thanks, marxchivist -- I emailed Peng but he couldn't help me.

I've emailed Linderman, peagood -- we'll see if he can help.
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 5:04 AM on July 13, 2010

Some further information has surfaced. Thanks to a kind Mefite, I now know that the artist inquestion was/is L. Peterson -- of whom I have never heard. But here's another sample of his/her work, from a related publication: Easy to Make Maidens and Cocktails.

http://www.atomicmall.com/related.php?q=Q2FuZHkgUmVjaXBlIEJvb2sgVmljdG9yaWFuIEVyYQ==&nid=140907

Down in the third row you'll see the entry, as well as the art attribution. Whoo-hoo! Also, and even better, there's a copy for sale on eBay for $11.00.

The mystery is unraveling!
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 6:49 AM on July 19, 2010

And he wins the eBay auction!

Of course, he was the only bidder...
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 11:12 AM on July 21, 2010

Well, King, this case is closed.
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 6:39 AM on August 9, 2010

« Older ACT or SATII?...   |  How can I best transition owne... Newer »