Apartment hunting troubles

I'm looking for an apartment in or near Lancaster, PA. Where else should I look outside of CL and the newspaper?

I'm finding the Craigslist listings and newspaper classifieds to be a pretty poor resource for the area. Is it worthwhile, in a smaller area like this, to pay a locator to help find a decent place? Am I better off just driving around some areas I'm interested in living and looking for rental signs?

What are your strategies/resources for finding housing in small/medium sized cities like this?

thanks!
posted by pilibeen to Home & Garden (3 answers total)

You might check bulletin boards around the local colleges: F&M, Millersville, PCAD.
posted by LolaGeek at 12:38 PM on July 7, 2010

Former Lancaster person - driving around in interested areas is a really good idea. What areas are you interested in?
posted by alice ayres at 1:16 PM on July 7, 2010

Not entirely sure about location Alice...I'll be working a few miles east of downtown, any suggestions? I don't really want to commute more than 20-25mins.
posted by pilibeen at 1:42 PM on July 7, 2010

« Older What are some good, hopefully ...   |  Traveling, as an 18 year old, ... Newer »