What can I do with these skills?
July 6, 2010 10:35 AM Subscribe
(Career Filter) Help me run away from the circus
posted by gillianr to work & money (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Who I am
I'm an early thirties project manager at a large entertainment company. I’ve learned heaps at this job, I can’t say enough good things about this company, but at some point it is time to move on.
Why I want to leave
- The field is very niche, and I’d like to expand my project management skills to other areas and increase my employ-ability
- I don’t have a passion for the entertainment business anymore. I spend more time reading about other specialties than my own.
- I would like to leverage the brand name associated with this company to help me move to another field that has larger job market and greater earning potential
- My boyfriend lives in Chicago and it’s high priority next year that we get in the same city. Maybe Chicago, maybe Vancouver...
- Project Management skills with a heavy focus on scope and change management in a creative environment.
- Craftsperson for 6 years: welding, carpentry, sewing, sculpting, painting..
- An understanding of materials and design and how things are made
- Have worked in entertainment / theatre / production for 10 years
- Good one on one with people and good public speaker
- Like to communicate through writing
- Good people skills / compassionate / enjoy people
- Good at bringing out the best / supporting others / teaching
- Good mix between left brain / right brain thinking
- Don't manage stress very well
- Have a hard time with conflict
- Don’t love ambiguity, although well versed (I find creation environments exciting but very difficult)
- Late adopter. Not a gadget girl.
Design Thinking / Design Strategy / Research (IIT, IDEO, Adaptive Path...)
Stanford’s D School
Product Design (especially turned on by furniture design)
Fashion / Textiles / Jewellery
Nutrition / Sports
Human / organizational behaviour
I made a large leap upwards going from craftsperson to project manager, and I’m not looking for another major leap, as I think those are rare. I think I’m looking for a lateral career move, but I don’t know what that would look like, since there is no model for what I do. My experience is fairly unique. And on some level I dream about going back to school so I don’t get stuck in middle management, but I’m not sure about the time or money investment for that type of decision.
1) I think my unusual mix of craft and design management with strong people skills is worth a premium somewhere...but at what type of company?
2) What types of industries or areas of work could I be looking at with these unique skills where I would have the possibility of really good earning potential? Is the money only in IT / UX design these days?