Can't Display Unicode #0CAO -- Part of Emoticon Meme and Thus *Everywhere* -- in Mac Firefox. Help?

I can't get Unicode character 0CAO -- which is a part of a popular emoticon-based meme -- to correctly display in Firefox, despite, as far as I can tell, having the necessary fonts installed on the system. A picture speaks a thousand words, so: These are my Firefox font settings. This is how this page looks in Firefox. This is how it looks in Safari. This page suggested I needed Arial Unicode MS (which appears to already be part of the Mac OS X operating system?). I also installed a Kannada font from here. No go. Any ideas? It's not so much that I really love the meme; moreso that I really detest seeing those Unicode boxes pop up everywhere on God's green Earth when the character fails to display in Firefox.
posted by WCityMike to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Ah, The Look of Disapproval.

Oddly it's not working for me, either, and I'm on Safari (5.0). I know I've seen it on Reddit, so I checked my iPhone (3.12) and it displays fine.

Which versions are you using?
posted by ChurchHatesTucker at 11:03 AM on June 23, 2010

Firefox v3.6.4 – where it doesn't work, Safari v4.0.5 – where it works. On Mac OS 10.6.3.
posted by WCityMike at 11:17 AM on June 23, 2010

Try installing this font. Read the rest of this thread if that didn't work.

Incidentally, it's U+0CA0 not 0CAO (zero not oh.)
posted by Rhomboid at 1:47 PM on June 23, 2010

BEAUTIFUL! :-) Thank you, the Kedage font did indeed do the trick perfectly.
posted by WCityMike at 4:26 PM on June 23, 2010

« Older ArachnidFilter: What kind of s...   |  What are the drawing style of ... Newer »