Looking for recommendations for an inexpensive projector for watching movies on an outdoor wall.

Looking for recommendations for an inexpensive projector for watching movies on an outdoor wall. Hoping to spend no more than $300 (used projector would be fine) - to watch movies on my roof against a stucco wall. There are a ton of used projectors on eBay but I need a little guidance on what to look for, as I have no clue. Just need a basic unit that will project a decent picture from about 10-15 feet away. Built-in speakers would be nice but not necessary. Thanks!
posted by staveitoff to Technology (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I have a refurbished epson movie mate 30 -- all in one dvd player and projector. I'm quite pleased with it but I haven't used it (yet) to project outdoors. There are refurbished projectors available from epson directly.

I'd also consider a pocket projector -- these are super small and seem neat but I haven't used one yet.
posted by countrymod at 11:01 AM on June 18, 2010

Spend another 100 and get a real new one, like this or this (have 4 of these & so far pretty good)

Here are my thoughts: first, don't bother with the built in speakers. Second, pocket's are too small & not bright enough to do something like this.

If you are looking on the used market be aware that the bulb can be very expensive, and some models they don't last terribly long, so you may be getting a unit the could immediatly require a new bulb - bad deal.

Have fun.
posted by zenon at 3:02 PM on June 18, 2010

Yeah, this especially. I'm happy with my Optima which I got for $800, but the bulbs are $400 each. It says the bulbs are good for 1000 hours, though thus far I've gotten them to last about 2000, which means I'm only changing them every two years or so. (which means it's cheaper than cable, so it's good by me).

Whatever you go with, see if you can find out the expected bulb life and costs.
posted by yeloson at 3:18 PM on June 18, 2010

« Older Does anyone have a contact lis...   |  Where can I buy a comprehensiv... Newer »