How to vote in the Belgian election?

I have to vote in the upcoming Belgian election. I was born in raised in the USA, but have been to Belgium many times, and speak Dutch fairly proficiently. I can't, however, really get a handle on the platforms of the various political parties - help me figure out what they stand for, or where I can find official statements in English. I'm leaning toward Groen or SPA at the moment, so information regarding them would be particularly appreciated.
posted by phrontist to Law & Government (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If you don't live in Belgium and you don't understand the issues and platforms well enough to have an intelligent opinion about them, maybe it would be best not to vote.
posted by ActingTheGoat at 10:25 PM on June 1, 2010

ActingTheGoat: It's a condition of citizenship - I could be fined heavily or worse if I don't.
posted by phrontist at 10:27 PM on June 1, 2010

Have you read what Wikipedia has to say about them? Here is the Groen page. Is this the party you mean by SPA?

Also you can google any website and choose the "Translate this page" option. Here is Groen's website translated.
posted by thekiltedwonder at 11:17 PM on June 1, 2010

Do you have to vote, or merely cast a ballot? Can you submit a blank ballot?
posted by mollymayhem at 12:09 AM on June 2, 2010

kilterwonder: No, I mean this party. The one you linked is francophone. It's wiki entry is not helpful, nor is Groen's page, really.

mollymayhem: I'd like to vote.
posted by phrontist at 12:20 AM on June 2, 2010

The Stemtest gives advice based on 30 polarizing statements.
posted by Psychnic at 2:26 AM on June 2, 2010

I could be fined heavily or worse if I don't.

Simple question, but since you don't mention it, have you been registered as a voter?

If you didn't do that before May 17 you can't vote.

Most Belgians abroad who did, registered to vote in Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde, by the way.
posted by ijsbrand at 3:03 AM on June 2, 2010

And here's a 5 minute explanation of Brussel-Halle-Vilvoorde.
posted by lioness at 2:45 PM on June 2, 2010

« Older Help me solve my squirrel prob...   |  Egypt, Turkey, Greece itinerar... Newer »