What kind of work is out there for a person with severe muscular dystrophy? Need about $200/mo. extra money.
May 30, 2010 1:24 AM Subscribe
What kind of work is out there for a person with severe muscular dystrophy? Need about $200/mo. extra money. I have extensive general computer knowledge, sort of a jack of all trades, master of few.
In terms of functionality the disability means: effectively no muscle use but for eye and very small hand movements; okay at speaking but very poor stamina for it; mentally I'm normal to above average. It would be very difficult for me to work from anywhere but home.
Only need to make $200-250 or so per month. And I'm curious how that much income affects SSI/Medicaid funds.
No highschool diploma or equivalent. No real past job experience.
- Extensive general computer knowledge from over 17 years of daily use. Mainly Windows systems. (MSDOS/Win 3.1 to Windows XP) Some knowledge of Linux and Mac systems.
- Good awareness and unrderstanding of PC hardware, but no physical ability to assemble components.
- HTPC and audio/video equipment setup.
- Use of Word, Excel, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro and other common office software.
- Minor experience with MySQL, CPanel, phpmyadmin, PHP, and Apache.
- Moderate knowledge of HTML and a little CSS.
- Experience using VNC, PCAnywhere, Telnet and SSH to access remote systems.
- Experience administrating and securing small home networks.
- Cleaning up virus and spyware laden systems.
- Good at working with video. Converting, capturing, encoding, editing, demuxing, resyncing, subtitling, complex DVD authoring.
- Understands E-mail clients, Usenet, FTP, IM clients, IRC, web browsers, P2P apps very well.
- Conversion of almost any audio/video/image/document formats.
- Excellent at web search with Google/Yahoo/other engines.
- Knows legacy databases such as DBase and FoxBase.
- Batch file scripting, AHK scripting.
- Use of virtualization software. VirtualPC, VMware, Bochs, Basilisk, various mobile device, computer, console emulators. Various disk image formats.
- Very minor knowledge of Python, TCL, Perl, x86 assembly.
- Very minor (software) reverse engineering knowledge.
- Can speak passable Spanish and beginner level German.
- Many other things!
Note that despite the above, I cannot type in great quantity or do any of these things very quickly.