Article about the Transformation of a Middle Eastern Family

Looking for a magazine-style article where the author recounts how his middle eastern family changed over the course of a generation from modern secularism to religious/political conservativism

I read it online sometime over the past year or so. It was the sort of story you might find linked on Arts & Letters Daily; intelligent and personal with a fairly blatant pro-west angle. Gave particular reference to the impact of local political and economic forces on his family's transformation.
posted by dephlogisticated to Society & Culture (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I believe this is what you are looking for.
posted by smoke at 11:45 PM on May 28, 2010

Bingo. Thanks, smoke. The original article has been locked behind a paywall, but with the title I was able to find a copy.
posted by dephlogisticated at 11:50 PM on May 28, 2010

dephlogisticated: Bingo. Thanks, smoke. The original article has been locked behind a paywall, but with the title I was able to find a copy.

I'd like to read it myself. Can you tell us where you found the copy?
posted by WCityMike at 9:21 AM on May 29, 2010

WCityMike: Can you tell us where you found the copy?

Answering my own question, this seems to have the full article text.
posted by WCityMike at 9:47 AM on May 29, 2010

That article is so damned heartbreaking.
posted by The Confessor at 12:35 PM on May 29, 2010

« Older In iTunes 9.1, what is the app...   |  I am 26 years old and just gra... Newer »