How to handle multiple job offers.
May 28, 2010 9:16 AM Subscribe
Please advise me on how to handle this delicate work situation.
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
As someone not too familiar with navigating the jobmarket, I let my naivety back me into a corner I can't see a way out of. I was offered and accepted a significant promotion at my current workplace, but made the mistake of admitting that I was being considered for another (even better) position at a different company when they noticed and asked about my initial hesitation when I accepted. Now they are considering rescinding the offer because they are afraid I will get the other job and waste their time training me in, only to leave shortly thereafter. I understand their concern, and in fact I told them because I feel loyal to them and wanted to be upfront. I had thought that the other company would have made a decision before I would have started my new position anyway, but they ended up having to unexpectedly push back their hiring process and won't be making a decision until about 2 weeks after I would have been training. Now I am not sure what course of action would best protect my interests.
Based on the thought that I would at least have this new promotion, I quit my second job. I will not be able to live on my pay if they rescind the offer and I have to go back to my prior job at this organization. The promotion will look much better on my resume and will give me more transferable skills, but the pay increase is not very significant and there is not much room for advancement in this organization. The outside position, on the other hand, would be a substantial pay increase, a better schedule, and would be an entry into the exact field I am looking to build a career in.
In retrospect (and after looking through old Askmes), I realize that it was really stupid to say anything about the outside job application, and it would have been better for everyone if I would have waited it out until I knew for sure what was happening. If I didn't get the outside job I would have at least had my promotion, and if I had gotten it I could have broken it to them something unexpected that I had applied for long before. I know that many people applied for the promotion, so they could have quickly filled the position after I left. Now, because I told them, they are compelled to do something about it--and I could end up with neither job. I am at a total loss.
I can see a couple possible courses of action: I could forgo pursuing the outside job and promise my current organization that they can start training me in confident that I will stick around. OR I could stand aside and let them promote someone else in the hopes that this outside job will work out--if I didn't get the outside job, I would have to search for another full time position outside my current company and hope something would work out. OR I could propose a kind of compromise to them--that in return for my loyalty and looking out for their interests, they could look out for mine and train me in on things that would allow me to start working right away, alleviating the pressure on them being short staffed. (They have been working without someone in this position for a month or so now) I would know in 2 weeks whether I got the other position, and if I didn't I could just continue training in on the more difficult parts of the job after that. If I did, I would still work if they wanted me for 2 more weeks, or they could hire someone else right away. Is that completely unreasonable?
I have been advised to accept the promotion but be willing to leave (even after convincing them I would not) if I got the outside job, but I just can't see myself doing that to them.
Two weeks ago I thought that, no matter what, I was leaving behind the stressful days of having two jobs and being ashamed of what I was doing for a living. I felt like I was turning a corner and changing my life in positive ways. Now it's possible that I have ruined my chances for this better job, and have lost the extra income that even made it possible for me to live on my prior job. I feel like I am being punished for being trusting and trying to look out for my organization's interests. I didn't want to screw them over, so instead I did myself in. I could use any advice, because I really don't know what to do.