I think I'm ready to take the plunge and root my Motorola Droid to install a custom ROM. But I still have a few niggling questions.
I have a Moto Droid (in the US) running Android 2.1 and I'd like to root it -- I like the fast paced development cycle of the custom ROMs I've been looking at, and they really seem feature rich and nice. I was thinking of following this guide
, which is what a lot of other places have been pointing to. My questions aren't really related to that guide in particular, but are more general:
- First, is there any reason (other than the potential for bricking my phone, which is obvious) that I shouldn't go ahead with this?
- Is there a way to backup my phone before trying to root it? Most of the backup solutions I've seen require root access before you can use them.
- Presumably, all my apps and other information won't be there any more after I'm done rooting. Will I have to re-download the apps manually when my phone is rooted, or will that happen automatically? Same for contacts and stuff, I guess.
- What ROMs are good for the Droid? I've heard good things about Cyanogen (relatively recently ported to the Droid) and Bugless Beast. Any other recommendations? And where can I find guides to help install those for the Droid (i.e., the Cyanogen wiki hasn't been updated in a while and has no Droid information on it whatsoever)?
- What interesting apps can I use once I have root access?
Thanks hive mind!