Further reading on microbial diversity?

Books or articles about microbial diversity for the non-specialist? I was fascinated when I read this article a couple of years back. What books, articles or papers covering similar ground (that would be intelligible to a curious layman) can you recommend regarding microbial genetic diversity, taxonomy, & the discovery of micro-organisms in extreme environments, etc.
posted by misteraitch to Science & Nature (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

"A Field Guide to Bacteria" explains where to look for bacteria in the environment, with an emphasis on macroscopic field marks that you can see with the naked eye. It's a fun read and is aimed at the layman.
posted by SandiBeech at 4:36 AM on May 12, 2010

The equivalent of 240 billion African elephants hiding in the ocean.
posted by shoesfullofdust at 5:33 AM on May 12, 2010

Thank you both! I'm still hoping there's some other stuff out there I've missed, or perhaps a book or two still being written on these topics...
posted by misteraitch at 12:14 AM on May 15, 2010

« Older Has anyone here graduated from...   |  I would like to find recording... Newer »