Help me decide where to live!
May 7, 2010 8:43 AM Subscribe
Should I move? I just accepted a new job. An opportunity to live in a sweet condo 5 minutes from my new job has presented itself. I'm trying to decide If I should move or not.
posted by cgg to Home & Garden (23 answers total)
New place pros:
* Almost twice the size of my current place, 2bdrm instead of 1. Has a kick ass view, awesome balcony, and is mostly renovated. It's a really nice place. Huge soaker tub, which I will really appreciate. I love this condo.
* Landlord would be okay with my 3 cats. Tons more room for them; they're a little cramped in my current 550sqft condo.
* 5 minutes max from my new job. My commute would otherwise be 20-45 minutes, depending on traffic.
* Landlord is a known entity - a friend is moving in with her boyfriend. She wants to rent her place out, but would much rather rent to someone she knows and trusts. With this in mind, she's offering me a sweet price.
New place cons:
* $160 month increase in rent (about 12%). Given the size however, it's reasonably priced, just more than I'm paying now. With the raise I'm getting, I can afford this. But I really don't *need* the extra space.
* Planned construction, sometime in the nearish future. It's a stucco building, and the plan is to replace the stucco, railings and maybe the windows. I have no idea how bad this could be.
* The building itself has an inconsistent policy on pets in general that apparently isn't enforced.
* My new job is a contract, with a defined end date a year from now. It might be extended, but there's absolutely no guarantee.
* The owner is moving in with her significant other. I'm worried that perhaps things won't work out, and she'll want her place back. The plan is to do things by the book, and current tenant laws here say she has to give me 2 months notice in this situation.
* no insuite laundry. There's a nice laundry room in the basement which is apparently deserted because everyone else has laundry. (The place has hookups, but the owner never bothered using them.)
* I'lll have to lug everything up 16 floors (vs 2 currently)
* I'll have to actually move. This is a giant undertaking. People will want to view my suite. I'll have to clean. I'll have to hide my cats. (I'm allowed one. I have three. Mommy cat was preggers and only counted as one cat when I took her in.) This really stresses me out, to the point where I'm on the verge of an anxiety attack. There are moving costs.
So, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. I'm really concerned about living in a construction site, and the possibility the owner will find herself homeless and want her place back. And the idea of moving again... ugh. But it's a gorgeous condo, I really love it.
What would you do? What other considerations am I missing?