Broken TV stuck to wall, send help.
May 6, 2010 12:39 PM Subscribe
My tv broke. How can I replace it and not spend much?
posted by ehamiter to technology (8 answers total)
The obvious answer would be to buy another TV. I have a pitfall, though-- it's a 42 inch plasma that is affixed to the wall. I took a look at the mount, and I have no idea how to get the thing off of it. Best Buy mounted it for me when I bought the original set which is now way past the manufacturer's warranty.
I can get them to install a TV I buy from them for an extra $99. My questions:
1. Is that cheap for installing a TV onto an existing mounted bracket?
2. Should I buy an extended warranty from them on a new TV? My instinct says to never buy those, especially from a place like that, but for items such as flat screen large TVs, maybe this is worth it?
3. Is Best Buy's "house brand" (Insignia) a decent buy or should I avoid completely?
4. This was a 42" plasma TV, I'm thinking of replacing it with a 40" LCD for lower power consumption and just plain cheaper. Will it still look *close* to the same size and clarity?
5. Can I mount it using the same bracket? I assume it's a universal mount that they used, but I'm not entirely sure.