Help me pick a phone that isn't an iPhone...but is kinda like an iPhone.
May 5, 2010 9:11 PM Subscribe
My boyfriend wants a smartphone for his birthday, but he doesn't know which one. Can you recommend one, based on the criteria inside the fold?
posted by lwb to technology (24 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Please recommend a smartphone that might suit my boyfriend based on the following criteria:
- He is envious of the ease of installing applications on my iPod touch, but he doesn't want an iPhone because he feels like Apple artificially limits what you can do with it (he knows he could jailbreak it, but he still feels like getting one would be tantamount to supporting what he sees as "anticompetitive practices", in his words.)
- He enjoys programming (primarily he uses Java and Python, but I think he'd appeciate language flexibility) and he would very much like to be able to learn to write his own applications for his phone.
- He would prefer a touch screen
- I think Wifi capability is more or less essential to him.
- He doesn't care about cameras and so on.
- We are in Australia and he is on Vodafone, he would prefer to remain on Prepay but is willing to consider a contract deal as long as the ongoing monthly cost is under $50. He is probably willing to change networks and he is also fine with parallel imports as long as they work here.
Unfortunately I don't know very much about this stuff. I was looking at the HTC Magic running Android for him, but I'm wondering if the hive mind has any better suggestions? Thanks in advance!