So, my uvula swelled up. Do I really have to stop taking Diovan?
Yesterday after coming home from work, I took a nap. I hadn't slept the night before, and hardly slept at all the night before that. So I sort of plopped into bed and really crashed hard.
When I woke up, I had a swollen uvula. It was sort of hanging on my tongue and making it hard to swallow. It was really strange and really freaked me out. I was worried my throat might be swelling up and that it might restrict my breathing, so I decided to drive to the hospital.
Once I was there, they had me sitting and waiting in an emergency room bay. With nothing else to do, I googled "swollen uvula" on my smartphone and it took me to this webpage
, which advises that "Uvulitis is invariably a result of snoring while in a deep sleep," and not a big deal. This made sense to me and I was relieved.
But my emergency room doctors were concerned, because I've been taking diovan for a few months (I also take Protonix for heartburn and something (a generic Zocor?) for cholesterol.
The emergency room docs insisted that I take steroid pills and benedryl tablets, stop taking diovan and call my doctor in the morning.
So I've done what they've asked. My doctor has also asked me to stop taking diovan and to come to the office this week.
I'm concerned that I'm likely to be taken off an effective medicine with no side effects (I was on Lisinopril before, which made me cough), just because I overreacted and went to the hospital for a condition that wasn't too serious, and now the doctors are practicing defensive medicine. I'm worried that I might now be asked to switch to using a more exotic class of drugs with more side effects.
It just seems like it would have been quite a coincidence for a diovan-related side effect to kick-in at precisely the moment when I would have been in the kind of deep sleep (although not alcohol-related) that is often associated with Uvulitis.
I will be meeting with my doctor sometime in the next few days, and I'm trying to figure out what questions I should ask or whether I should be resistant to switching to a different blood pressure med.
I realize you're not my doctor, and that you're not offering medical advice. But I'd be glad to hear your thoughts or experiences with this.