Is a Florida Learner's Permits (driving permit) valid in other states?

Is a Florida Learner's Permits (driving permit) valid in other states? Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina all have the same age for learner's permit (15) and driver's license (16).

My family is driving north - Florida to New Jersey. We have a driver who has a Florida learner's permit. Very good driver, completed driving school, lots of hours behind the wheel, has done highway driving many times.

Do we have an extra driver? Is the permit valid in other states? I think doing some serious highway driving, along Rte 95 through GA, SC, and NC would be good practice.

New Jersey and Maryland do not allow learner's permits until 16, so does that mean that a valid FLA permit for a 15 year old is not valid in NJ and MD. I would assume so.

Does the hive mind know the correct answers?
posted by Flood to Law & Government (6 answers total)

Apparently it varies by state:

Georgia Will accept any valid learner’s permit subject to restrictions mandated by the issuing state.

North Carolina Any nonresident driving in North Carolina who is at least 16 years old and is abiding by the restrictions on their learner’s permit or license as required by the issuing State is authorized to drive in this State.

South Carolina South Carolina does “NOT” recognize an out-of-state beginner’s permit inasmuch as the requirements to obtain a beginner’s permit vary from state to state.

posted by Comrade_robot at 2:54 PM on April 30, 2010

search this page for "out of state".

it looks like georgia and south carolina are no and north carolina is yes.
posted by nadawi at 2:56 PM on April 30, 2010

As a practical matter, I find it hard to imagine that police would bother ticketing a child driving with his parents who was legally permitted in his home state, if they even noticed him driving.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 3:06 PM on April 30, 2010

if the child gets pulled over and is asked to hand over his license, you don't think the cop would notice?
posted by nadawi at 3:13 PM on April 30, 2010

Thank you
posted by Flood at 4:23 PM on April 30, 2010

posted by Eyebrows McGee at 5:06 PM on April 30 [+] [!]

might be a different story if the kid gets into an accident. also might invalidate insurance.
posted by lester's sock puppet at 6:53 PM on April 30, 2010

« Older I am a guitar player who has a...   |  I have been in psychotherapy f... Newer »