Skip

Funny mystery short stories!
April 29, 2010 8:35 PM   Subscribe

Can you recommend a good anthology of funny mystery stories?

I've acquired a taste for them and want to indulge!
posted by storybored to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I think it will help if you tell us what you've liked so far.
posted by thejoshu at 8:50 PM on April 29, 2010

Jeffery Deaver has written two short story collections; "Twisted: The Collected Short Stories of Jeffrey Deaver" and "More Twisted: Collected Stories". I wouldn't exactly call the stories funny, but, as you can surmise from the title, every story has a twist ending. They all have an old-fashioned, almost corny feel to them. O Henry-esque.
posted by zardoz at 9:39 PM on April 29, 2010

A lot of Roald Dahl's short stories aren't exactly mysteries, but they have twists and reveals at the end. plus a dark sense of humor.
posted by Vic Morrow's Personal Vietnam at 10:25 PM on April 29, 2010 [1 favorite]

BAM!
posted by Pomo at 11:03 PM on April 29, 2010

How about Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series? It's not exactly laugh out loud funny, but it's kind of fun.
posted by CarsonDyle at 11:49 PM on April 29, 2010

Try Dave Barry's books "Big Trouble" and "Tricky Business." Perhaps they're not quite mysteries, but sort of cops and robbers suspense novels. And they're hilarious.
posted by wjm at 1:24 AM on April 30, 2010 [1 favorite]

Again, not typical whodunnit mysteries nor anthologies, but the noir novels of Big Jim Thompson are relatively short, easy reads. AS the other suggestions above, they hold twists, turns, and in several, a delicious dark humor.
Pop. 1280 followed by The Killer Inside Me are good places to start.
posted by beelzbubba at 4:02 AM on April 30, 2010

Thieve's Dozen by Donald Westlake.

And of course all the Rumpole books.
posted by IndigoJones at 5:53 AM on April 30, 2010

What about the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich? Definitely funny; sort of mystery.

On preview, I missed the word 'short' in your title, but I'm still recommending these.
posted by CathyG at 7:15 AM on April 30, 2010

I have a pretty dry sense of humor, but I tend to think that the Miss Marple stories are hilarious. And there are about a million of those floating around.
posted by greekphilosophy at 8:00 AM on April 30, 2010

Seconding Westlake. Here's list of "Dortmunder Books." I also got a kick out of most of Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy books. They tend to be pretty quick reads.
posted by cairnish at 9:31 AM on April 30, 2010

not an anthology, and not short by a long shot, but ANYthing by carl haiaasen is funny & he works a great mystery angle.
posted by msconduct at 10:47 AM on April 30, 2010

As for short stories, which, I believe, is what you were asking for, there's this:

The Defective Detective: Mystery Parodies by the Great Humorists ed. Steve Carper

And here's a link to Homeville, which lists anthologies and their contents, namely the above.

Enjoy.
posted by Max McCarty at 8:50 PM on May 1, 2010

« Older Why can't I get Restore Backup...   |  My mom is going vegetarian. My... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.