None of my browsers will access these two specific sites any more. They're not listed in HOSTS and I have no spyware.

I cannot access lclark.edu or cihost.com. It just doesn't work. Other websites work fine, my hosts file contains nothing that would cause this, I have no blocking software, I have no spyware, and these two web sites are not down.

I have been able to access both in the past, but for whatever reason they just stopped working. Ideas? I'm running Mozilla 1.7.1 on Windows XP SP2, but I have the same problem with Internet Explorer.
posted by punishinglemur to Computers & Internet (28 answers total)

Try doing an nslookup on one of the sites by opening a command prompt window and typing "nslookup [site name]". Do you receive an IP address for it or do you receive an error?

You might see if you can try an alternate DNS server. A while back I had this problem with a Web site I visit occasionally. In my case, the DNS server returned the wrong IP address (my friend who could load the Web site received a different IP address from his DNS server).
posted by rhiannon at 7:17 PM on February 14, 2005

You'll find some good ideas in this thread which began with me having a similar problem.
posted by luser at 7:20 PM on February 14, 2005

rhiannon: I get IPs. For lclark.edu, it's 149.175.1.7 and cihost.com gives me 63.249.159.33.
posted by punishinglemur at 7:24 PM on February 14, 2005

I had the same issue a while back and it was an issue with my ISP's DNS. I reset my connection through my modem (not just resetting the modem, resetting the connection itself) and that took care of it.
posted by amandaudoff at 7:26 PM on February 14, 2005

hmm I get 149.175.1.5 for lclark.com (but 149.175.1.7 for www.lclark.edu) and 63.249.159.33 for cihost.com
posted by jackofsaxons at 7:30 PM on February 14, 2005

I tried some alternate DNS servers. No luck.
posted by punishinglemur at 7:30 PM on February 14, 2005

Yes, my mistake. I get 149.175.1.5 for lclark.edu and 149.175.1.7 for www.lclark.edu.

So it looks like we're getting the same IPs.
posted by punishinglemur at 7:32 PM on February 14, 2005

So, can you get to them via IP? Can you ping that IP? If not, run a tracert and see where it stops.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 7:36 PM on February 14, 2005

Accessing the sites via IP doesn't work either.

149.175.1.5 falls into "Request timed out" land after this:
19 84 ms 84 ms 83 ms 206-169-234-74.gen.twtelecom.net [206.169.234.74
]

63.249.159.33 suffers the same fate after this:
20 72 ms 74 ms 71 ms CI-GigE-1-2GAH9.demarc.cogentco.com [38.112.17.7
8]

If you want the full traceroute that can be arranged...
posted by punishinglemur at 7:46 PM on February 14, 2005

Had the same problem with one particular site. I contacted my ISP and they provided me with a proxy server which I changed in tools/internet options. Problem solved (but not explained).
posted by Neiltupper at 8:04 PM on February 14, 2005

Do you have the ability to do this from an alternate computer at your site? Any friends with a laptop that can plug in where you are and try the same thing? It's important here to determine whether you are dealing with a local problem or not.
posted by xorowo at 8:05 PM on February 14, 2005

Perhaps it should be noted that I am using a router. But I never told it to block anything and a check of all settings reveals nothing that should be blocking these sites.

Comcast technical support is unhelpful.
posted by punishinglemur at 8:05 PM on February 14, 2005

I assume you're not using peer guardian?
posted by null terminated at 8:17 PM on February 14, 2005

(if you are, turn it off and try connecting)

corrupt cache? does it work via another browser?
posted by whatisish at 9:16 PM on February 14, 2005

er - sorry, I see now that IE does the same.
posted by whatisish at 9:17 PM on February 14, 2005

Did you try a tracert?
posted by brool at 10:54 PM on February 14, 2005

Totally off topic, I'm sure, but why are you trying to get to lclark.edu? I ask only cause I'm currently a student there...
posted by MostHolyPorcine at 11:11 PM on February 14, 2005

I assume you've already tried plugging your computer directly to the cable modem?
posted by gyc at 11:23 PM on February 14, 2005

I'm with MostHolyPorcine on the off-topicness. I am an alum.
posted by ..ooOOoo....ooOOoo.. at 12:34 AM on February 15, 2005

Here are several things to try:

1) Like gyc suggested, eliminate the router and plug the cable modem directly into your computer for a little while to see if the router is causing problems.
2) Make sure that the XP SP2 firewall is turned off. This can cause odd problems sometimes.
3) Make sure that you don't have other firewall software installed on the machine. If you do, disable it temporarily (or permanently, you've got a hardware firewall after all) and run some tests
4) Pull up a command prompt and do a "telnet 149.175.1.5 80". (telnet space 149.175.1.5 space 80) Do you get a black screen? If so, type "GET" and hit return. If you get a black screen, then you are getting a connection on port 80 to the web server outside of web browsers, which would indicate to me that you've got some kind of issue with your browser software, probably spyware or some other annoyance. This is a very basic connection into the www port on the web server, avoiding all web browser software and related issues. I don't trust ping and tracert myself, because you are using ICMP instead of TCP, so any router/firewall along the way can treat those packets significantly differently and give you unexpected results.
5) Have you run spybot search & destroy? You may have some nasty spyware on your machine that has added something weird to your network stack, and it's doing something unexpected when you try to access those web sites.
posted by ensign_ricky at 6:32 AM on February 15, 2005

I'm with the ooooo guy and Holy Porcine. I live a stone's throw from the campus, in Lake O, and 99.9% of my neighbors are students at the law school.
posted by SpecialK at 8:38 AM on February 15, 2005

They could have blocked your ip address. If they think you're a spammer or a bot or you just shouldn't be able to view the site (e.g. you're accessing the site from 1980's Soviet Russia) then you may not be able to get access.

Try plugging a different computer into the same network point. If you get the same error, then it's not you, it's your IP address.

I notice that I (and other sites) can't access 149.175.1.5, so I don't think this is accessable from anywhere. concentrate your traceroutes to 149.175.1.7 and report back what response you get.
posted by seanyboy at 8:39 AM on February 15, 2005

Actually, I can access 149.175.1.5, I just can't ping it.
Try pinging or tracert-ing ciHost.com instead.
posted by seanyboy at 8:43 AM on February 15, 2005

Pioneer power! Alums represent.

(sorry, I just saw others had chimed in there.)
posted by norm at 11:32 AM on February 15, 2005

Check your router MTU.

On DSL, mine is 1492. I had a similar problem to yours a while back, and I finally isolated it as a MTU problem.
posted by reverendX at 1:43 PM on February 15, 2005

I get problems like that semi-regularly and it's always fixed by rebooting my router.
posted by daveirl at 3:31 PM on February 15, 2005

Well, add democraticunderground.com and blogger.com to the list of inexplicably inaccessable sites.

I just tried plugging my computer directly into the router and now I can get to all the formerly inaccessable sites. But I need the router. Now what?
posted by punishinglemur at 7:43 PM on February 16, 2005

« Older Can you lay Pergo over concret...   |  CD packaging: How much does it... Newer »