What are the good Acting MFA programs currently?
April 12, 2010 7:07 PM Subscribe
Any current or recent Acting MFA students out there? What are the good programs right now?
posted by starvingartist to Education (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Mrs. starvingartist is looking for a theater MFA program. She graduated with her BA in Acting in 2005 but has been working as a semi-professional actor and general theater artist in the Cleveland area for 10 years. She is an excellent teacher and her desired goal is to teach theater on a college level. As far as we're aware, most college theater programs won't hire you without an MFA. These are the criteria she's looking for:
- A program that is well-balanced between the classics and contemporary works
- A program that places a strong emphasis on stage combat - we are both fighters and choreographers
- A program that accepts a well-rounded group of students, not just young Hollywood or New York-bound ingenues and studs
- A program that doesn't mind accepting older students - think early 30s
- A program that waives tuition for MFA students and/or offers a fellowship for teaching low-level undergrad classes like Theater 101
We will of course be doing our own research, but it would be nice to get some current firsthand opinions. Thanks!