How do I negotiate now that I got into a top EMBA program?
April 10, 2010 8:04 AM Subscribe
I got into a top EMBA program, and need some advice.
posted by anonymous to Education (3 answers total)
So I'm turning 30 next month, and after some coaxing from family, I applied to and got into a top EMBA program. (Think top 2.) Because I submitted my application last minute, I didn't ask for corporate sponsorship. Now that I got in, I have a ton of unanswered questions.
1) If I want to switch careers after I graduate, do you think I face an uphill battle to get into McKinsey/Bain/BCG for consulting or Morgan/Barclays/DB for IB? Will it really make that much of a difference since I'm at a Top 2 EMBA?
2) Should I ask for sponsorship, or roll the dice and try to land a better job afterward? The rules state that if I take money from my company (above $5k), I have to ask permission to join oncampus recruiting. Average starting salary post MBA for my school (traditional, not EMBA) is almost 80% higher than what I make now.
3) If my company offers me money (not a full ride), and I say no, how much of an asshole do I look like?
4) Can anyone think of a way I could structure my negotiation with my current employer where everyone wins?
5) Any other advice on my imminent journey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.