Identify a book about some woman who tries to get her man to murder some stranger

Identify this book: lady with white hair and crimson "area" tries to get her boyfriend to kill a hobo and plant a tree.

This is a novel I vaguely remember a family member having when I was younger; I remember skimming through it to look for naughty bits, but that the most "naughty" thing I found was a mention of the lady's pubes. Here's what I recall, and it may or may not be all reliable:

The narrator is a man who starts dating a mysterious woman with either white or silver hair (because she dyes it; it's firey red "down there", where she doesn't dye it. At some point, they're lying in bed together and dude is like, "Why do you dye your pubic hair" and she FLIPS OUT). The main plot is: woman tells the narrator that to live a full life or summat he's got to plant a tree, kill someone, and maybe do one or two other things too? Like write a poem or something? I don't know. I think the plot basically hinges on will he kill a stranger to satisfy her or not.

If I had to guess, I'd say I read it around '91-ish? So maybe the book came out in the late eighties or early nineties?
posted by Greg Nog to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Also, I want to say the lady's name is like something out of a livejournal elven slashfic, like "Winter" or "Silva" or something. I think it starts with an "s"?
posted by Greg Nog at 2:51 PM on April 9, 2010

*Was* it elven slashfic? That is, were there actual fantasy elements that you recall?
posted by restless_nomad at 5:25 PM on April 9, 2010

Never mind, I'm pretty sure it's this. "Senta" is the woman's name.
posted by restless_nomad at 5:30 PM on April 9, 2010

Aw, damn! restless_nomad may have it! I will have to flip through a hard copy to see the naughty bits before I can confirm, but that sounds right!
posted by Greg Nog at 6:47 PM on April 9, 2010

It's definitely The Bridesmaid - came in here to say that myself.
posted by daisyk at 2:22 AM on April 10, 2010

Well, rad! Thanks, peeps!
posted by Greg Nog at 12:29 PM on April 11, 2010

In case it's useful, the Google-fu I used was the following - "prove your love" "plant a tree" kill. That brought up the IMDB page for the movie based on that book.
posted by restless_nomad at 7:05 AM on April 12, 2010

« Older Help me help my roommate not b...   |  Looking for a recipe for a lig... Newer »