Who will sew this wedding dress?

Need recommendations for a dressmaker in Toronto.

Posting for a friend. Wedding is July 10th, she wants to have her dress made. A dressmaker who is also a pattern drafter or knows a pattern drafter would be great, but not necessary.

If you have direct experience with said dressmaker, fantastic. If you have pictures of said dressmaker's work, even better. If you are a dressmaker and can provide samples and testimonials of your work, tell me! But really, send any reasonable recommendation this way. The clock is ticking.
posted by Felicity Rilke to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total)

From what I understand, lead time on a dress is usually six months, though sometimes places will do it significantly faster for a rush fee. Just to understand the question better - is your friend looking for someone who will design her dress, who will make it according to a pattern she already has, or is she just looking for a good dress store?
posted by Dasein at 8:10 AM on March 26, 2010

The dress will be made from an existing pattern. Finding a dressmaker is first priority, then she can talk about whether or not it can be built from the base up in time or if she'll need to go with plan B and have an existing dress altered.
posted by Felicity Rilke at 8:21 AM on March 26, 2010

Cindy's Alterations in Whitby has the skills certainly. I've used her for lots of things, and she always has wedding dresses under construction in her shop. She'd be a 30 to 40 minute drive, depending on where you are. Lovely person, too.
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 10:29 AM on March 26, 2010

If you can venture outside Toronto to Waterdown, I highly recommend Lisa van Hattem. I used her for alterations on my wedding dress (made by another dressmaker out West) and she was fantastic.
posted by AV at 11:25 AM on March 26, 2010

« Older I'm going to Denver for a conf...   |  Please help me teach myself ab... Newer »