What's the source of this quote?

I'm looking for the source of this remembered anecdote I heard about 30 years ago: A famous letter was to the editor of the Times of London read, in its entirety: "This morning while shaving, I broke 100. What's par?" This apparently released a flood of responses. The letter was published much longer ago, I'd guess, and it might not have been the Times, either — perhaps it was in the journal Notes & Queries. Search at Times or Notes & Queries fails to find it, however. It was in Britain, in any case.

(I previously posted the anecdote as a comment here. My request is prompted by a MeFi mail inquiry as to the original source.)
posted by beagle to Media & Arts (1 answer total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Omit that "was". S/B: A famous letter to the editor of the Times ...
posted by beagle at 9:34 AM on March 10, 2010

« Older I’m starting grad school in ch...   |  I need a little help with regu... Newer »