How did you feel about starting your own business? Specifically looking for stories from people who left a fairly good corporate job, and how you found the courage to do it to help inform my own decision to stay or leave. (lots more inside)
My personality: Being an entrepreneur has been my long term goal for years. I have always wanted to start a business, and was the very stereotypical kid who was always doing various entrepreneurial things, and even started several businesses and intiatives in college though decided to work "in the real world" post college.
I took this test
last week and answered "yes" to 19 of the 20 questions. I consistiently have the nagging thought that I really need to quit my job and start my own company, etc.
I don't know exactly what my company would do, however, and if I wasn't currently miserable at work I think I would stay 1-2 years to figure that out and save more money.
I'm an executive at a brand name entertainment conglomerate and my job pays well. I enjoy most of the actual tasks in my work, and the people. It has a lot of perks that make nearly everyone I know jealous. However, I have become extremely bored with the job because I learn incredibly quickly, like to be constantly learning, and my boss is an extreme micromanager who won't let me stretch at all (you can imagine how someone very entrepreneurial would feel about that).
I have over ten years of work experience across the entertainment industry and a top 5 MBA, I'm well respected at work and do a good job. There is definitely potential for me to advance in my current division or elsewhere in the company.
My specific worries/constant thoughts/fears are:
- will it be more difficult to leave as I accumulate more money and power in my corporate job?
- will I make as much money in my own business?
- will I ever be able to buy a house/pay off student loans, etc if I leave cushy job? (I have a side job that will bring in enough money for my living expenses, but saving/progressing financially will be difficult if the business isn't successful)
- will I be lonely/bored/feel like a loser?
- is it crazy to just quit without a solid plan?
If you did something similar - how did you overcome your fear? Did you quit and figure out what you were going to do? or have a solid business plan in place before taking the leap? Most importantly, are you happy you did it?