Laptop + iTunes + NAS + Consolidation?
March 1, 2010 12:35 PM Subscribe
iTunes 9 seems to have killed the ability to disconnect from one's NAS library and re-consolidate when re-attached. Does anyone have a working solution? Details inside..
posted by Señor Pantalones to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Does anyone have a great workflow to recommend for managing a library on a laptop that travels with me, using a home NAS as my centralized music storage location?
My previous workflow was as follows:
1. set up iTunes library on laptop
2. move everything to NAS, but drag aliases to previous locations in local itunes library
3. When connected to the network, everything works as expected.
4. When disconnected, adding tracks to the library adds them locally, trying to play tracks stored on the network drive results in the (!) icon showing up, but when I reconnect everything is fine
5. When I reattach to the network, I would consolidate library and everything would be moved to the proper location, all (!)s ironed out, etc.
This allowed me to get new music while mobile, keep it locally if i wanted to, and re-sync when i got home.
After I installed iTunes 9 a while back, this stopped working. I decided to try it again and can't seem to get the magic combination.
Yes i've searched the hell out of every macnn, tuaw, apple discussions etc. thread. Not being lazy here, just trying another venue...