On second thought, I do want a billboard made of my neighbor's dog

What's a good way to batch compress images in OSX, delete the originals, and keep iPhoto working the same as it did before?

While uploading images to Flickr, I noticed that I have a ton of photos on my hard drive that are about 5 MB a piece that I will never get massive prints of. The largest prints I will ever get of any photo will probably be eight by eleven. Is there a program that will look at my iPhoto library, automatically compress all the images, and correct iPhoto to keep the compressed photos in the same albums/events/etc?
posted by mccarty.tim to Computers & Internet (1 answer total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

In theory, you might try converting the original images in place, without modifying iPhoto's XML library file.

A one-liner shell script would work for this test, along with the convert tool that is part of imagemagick, e.g. from the Terminal:

Make a backup of your Pictures folder before you attempt to run this script. This replaces the original images.

$ find $HOME/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/Originals -name *.jpg -print0 | xargs -0 -t -I {} convert -sample 25%x25% {} {}

posted by Blazecock Pileon at 10:37 AM on March 1, 2010

« Older I have a CentOS server with a ...   |  What is a good price (In Canad... Newer »