More Miles Noir

I'm looking for jazz albums similar in mood to Miles Davis' score for the French film Ascenseur pour l'échafaud.

Most of the pieces are slow and spare, showcasing long trumpet lines atop brushed percussion. It's the somber simpleness that I like in this album and the frantic swing feeling that I dislike in other jazz records. Other examples might include parts of Kind of Blue and Coltrane's "Alabama." Again, I'm primarily interested in whole albums; the more noir, the better. And never mind the title to this question—other jazz composers are welcome.
posted by bode well carapace to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

I have that album and nearly everything he did with his quintet was like that also check out birth of cool and round bout midnight by Miles.

Winton Marsalis Standard Time 3: Resolution of Romance.
posted by ExitPursuedByBear at 12:16 PM on February 11, 2010

You might also like Coltrane's A Love Supreme. But then you might not. But if you do, oh, oh. Oh!
posted by avianism at 12:26 PM on February 11, 2010

Mal Waldron's soundtrack to the movie "Sweet Love, Bitter" (Impulse, 1967)

Jimmy Giuffre 3, Thesis (1961) and Fusion (1961), re-issued together by ECM as "1961"

Bill Evans and Jim Hall, Undercurrent (1963)

Art Farmer Quartet, Sing Me Softly of the Blues (1965)

Art Farmer and Fritz Pauer, Azure (1987)

Art Farmer, To Sweden With Love (1964)

Jeanne Lee and Ran Blake, The Newest Sound Around (1961)

Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron--Sempre Amore (1986)

Mal Waldron/Marion Brown--Much More! (1988)
posted by HP LaserJet P10006 at 12:33 PM on February 11, 2010

Oooh oh Bill Evans! Good call! Waltz for Debby.
posted by avianism at 12:35 PM on February 11, 2010

Also:

Michel Legrand--Les Parapluies De Cherbourg (1964)
Barney Wilen--Un Temoin Dans La Ville / Jazz Sur Seine (1959)
Barney Wilen & Mal Waldron--Movie Themes from France
Kenny Burrell--Midnight Blue (1963)
Ike Quebec--Blue and Sentimental (1962)
Stanley Turrentine and The Three Sounds--Blue Hour (1960)
Warne Marsh--Ne Plus Ultra (1969)
Johnny Smith--The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar (1960)
Jimmy Raney--Wisteria (1985)
posted by HP LaserJet P10006 at 12:53 PM on February 11, 2010

Bohren & Der Club of Gore – Sunset Mission
posted by Dean King at 1:20 PM on February 11, 2010

Gerry Mulligan - What is there to say?

Mulligan wrote and/or arranged a lot of stuff from the Birth of the Cool period. Art Farmer is also on this album.

I'd Agree with most of HP LaserJet P10006's and I'd note that you could check out some earlier Jimmy Giuffre stuff too. I especially love this song.

Definitely check out the Miles/Gil Evans stuff! Sketches of Spain is a must if you're looking for somber simpleness. In fact, check out everything Gil Evans did for that matter.
posted by alhadro at 1:29 PM on February 11, 2010

Coltrane: Ballads. Wonderful album. McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones. *sigh* Heaven on Earth.
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 1:53 PM on February 11, 2010

It's going to take me a while to get through all of these, but Undercurrent is exactly what I'm after. Thanks!
posted by bode well carapace at 1:53 PM on February 11, 2010

« Older I am watching this yale lectur...   |  I just answered a call from &q... Newer »