easy ways to archive e-mails from yahoo?

I have 33,000 e-mails in my yahoo account that I would like to archive. How can I do this?
posted by parmanparman to Technology (6 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Set up access to your account via IMAP to Apple Mail, Thunderbird, or Eudora, etc. and copy the messages from the Yahoo! account to a local (local-to-hard-drive) folder. Then compress the folder.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 11:35 PM on February 10, 2010

IMAPSize can be used to backup IMAP emails account.
posted by rom1 at 12:06 AM on February 11, 2010 [1 favorite]

I was under the impression that IMAP access to Yahoo email accounts was only available if you use the Zimbra desktop client or a mobile phone.
posted by magicbus at 5:43 AM on February 11, 2010

AFAIK, POP/IMAP access is no longer free.

There is, however, a great script to do this called fetchyahoo that works similarly to fetchmail(1) but for yahoo mail.

It downloads mail from any/all folders you specify, and either writes it to a local mail spool, an IMAP folder, or can even forward the mail to another mail server. (I use it to automagically back up yahoo mail to a local mbox)

the script itself is well-documented, but if you run into any trouble running it, I'd be happy to try and help via memail.
posted by namewithoutwords at 6:07 AM on February 11, 2010 [2 favorites]

You could create a gmail account and have it copy all the Yahoo emails to your new gmail account... You could then use the various IMAP tools mentioned above to archive them.

Also, I seem to recall that Yahoo had an option to download copies of your emails in .zip files -- not the best solution and probably would involve a lot of work on your part.
posted by crenquis at 1:50 PM on February 11, 2010

I first thought of Ypops (formerly YahooPops), but fetchyahoo is more recently maintained.

Paying for imap access for a month & letting your preferred email client fetch them might be preferable.
posted by Pronoiac at 10:12 AM on February 13, 2010

« Older How do I make pictures larger ...   |  So, MeFi, tell me what you kno... Newer »