What kind of doctor can fix my brain?

I have a very specific set of behaviors that I want to seek external assistance to alter, but have no idea how to go about doing so.

It's pretty simple, really. Once I've tucked the kids in bed, I flop down in front of the PC and then those 2-3 hours that are my only time to get non-work, non-family things done waste away. This is like 90% of my nights.

Many years of this have been enough to prove to me that I'm not going to claw my way to self-discipline on my own. So I guess this means... therapy? How do I go about finding the specific kind of skull-doctor that might [a.] help me understand the actual root causes, and [b.] find a viable solution?

I've seen lots of AskMeFi suggestions about what might be the appropriate *type* of therapy (CBT) but not how to turn that concept into an actual person.
posted by TheManChild2000 to Health & Fitness (2 answers total) 15 users marked this as a favorite

The solution is to ask this question to some potential therapists. My suggestion is to find 4-5 people in convenient locations who take your insurance. Then write a few questions down to ask them on the phone. If they won't talk to you on the phone for a few minutes, cross them off of your list. In your case, the questions would be:

1. Here is my problem. Do you have any experience with this problem? How would you apply your treatment modality to my problem? I want to get to the root cause of it, as well as proactively solving it.
2. How long do you usually see patients for this type of problem?

They will then try to get you to book an appointment. Don't do it yet. It's easy to feel pressured but you want to really ponder your thoughts and feelings about each therapist before you make a commitment to see one.

Once you've spoken to a few, book an appointment. Try not to commit to ongoing treatment on the first appointment. Think about it. It's a large investment of time, money, and emotional effort.

Most therapists use a variety of therapeutic tools, and the intelligence, insight, and kindness of the therapist will be what makes you stay in therapy and do the work.

And a few questions to ponder if you haven't already: Are you pressuring yourself to do things that you don't really want to do because you feel that you should be more productive, interesting, creative than you are? Is it okay that you spend two hours a day on the PC? If not, do you have a firm grasp of what else you'd rather be doing with a plan and small, discrete tasks to complete?
posted by kathrineg at 9:17 PM on January 10, 2010

The Great MeFi Hiccup of 2010 ate all the original answers, one of the best referring to several organizations of therapists that supply CBT therapy. That was a good idea. Thanks to Kathrineg for the helpful ideas.
posted by TheManChild2000 at 7:18 PM on January 19, 2010

« Older I just bought a pound of vanil...   |  Breakfast makes me feel bloate... Newer »