Has my SSN been stolen?

I think someone might have used my Social Security Number to claim citizenship, or at the very least may be accidentally using my SSN on their W2.

I had to refile for unemployment this morning, and the person at the Labor office informed me that under my SSN, I had about $7,000 of wages paid out over three quarters of 2008 from an LLC in New Jersey, a state I have neither lived nor worked in since 2004. Googling this LLC, I got only information about public approval for construction and an address, which on Google Maps appears to be a residential home. There is no phone number or non-mail contact to be found.

While I know little about this, my suspicion is that this may be a result of a private contractor hiring illegal labor or something similar, and using my SSN, perhaps just at random, for one the workers paid to do work on this particular home. Or perhaps it was a legal worker who typoed their SSN on a W-2. Regardless, because I am concerned about possible fraud, I certainly do not want to mail a letter to this address with any inquiries, as it would then link my name, address, and/or other contact information to my SSN.

I have already gotten a free credit report from Equifax which indicates no discrepancies or problems that I can tell. I do not think I am an outright victim of identity theft. But I am of course nervous and would like to get to the bottom of this.
posted by XQUZYPHYR to Work & Money (5 answers total)

You can contact your local Social Security office to point out the problem and see if you can get it corrected.
posted by dilettante at 2:01 PM on December 31, 2009 [2 favorites]

Yeah, you'll need to talk to your local Social Security office.
posted by Lobster Garden at 2:20 PM on December 31, 2009

my suspicion is that this may be a result of a private contractor hiring illegal labor or something similar, and using my SSN ...

Almost certainly that's the case.

When I lived in Texas, it was an open joke in restaurant kitchens when, for example, Pedro, who looked all the world like a nineteen year old and didn't speak a word of English, was actually, on paper, a forty-six year old man named Bill Wilkinson.

You should definitely contact the Social Security office.
posted by jayder at 2:29 PM on December 31, 2009 [1 favorite]

I would pull the credit reports from all of the 3 major agencies, as the information each has is not always identical. Place a fraud alert, if you have not already done so. If you notify one agency they will tell the other two for you. File a police report or you will not be able to get an extended fraud alert. Be prepared to prove where you lived and worked with the agencies if there is a job or address listed that was never yours. Keep any related paperwork just in case this problem isn't an isolated one.
I would treat this as identity theft and not as an accident.
posted by bookshelves at 5:52 PM on December 31, 2009

Anecdote: I've walked into my bank before and given them my SSN to identify and they pulled up multiple entries. I've never had issues with my taxes/credit reports/employment regarding my SSN. Of course, who really has the authority to see if SSNs are double-booked?
posted by ijoyner at 4:40 AM on January 3, 2010

« Older How do I address a Greek Ortho...   |  What song(s) would you describ... Newer »