Itchy & Scratchy. [+]
I did some yard work this weekend, most of which involved shoveling mud and clearing out some undergrowth. I wore gloves, but apparently I touched or chopped something I shouldn't have and I now have a very
nasty case of what I'm certain is either Poison Oak or Poison Ivy.
I have more work to do out there, and from what I've read, you don't have to touch the plants to get infected--the Poison Oak/Ivy oil can become airborne
if you hack it with a machete or step on a branch.
I have four questions:
1) Is there a remedy
for the Poison Oak/Ivy rash?
2) If I burn or tear out the plants, the oil becomes airborne, so how do I kill/get rid of the plants?
3) Short of wearing a Level A biohazard suit
, what precautions
must I take to avoid contamination?
4) If I think I've been contaminated, how do I get the oil off my skin and what should I do to minimize spreading it to other parts of my body?