Norad Santa help?

Tracking Santa: I can't install the Google Earth Web Plug-in (mac).. help please! I have six hours to get this working for my nieces...

- I've downloaded the plugin, but when I doubleclick on it, nothing happens.
- The file info says it should open with Plug-in Installer, but I can't find that on my Mac.
- I've installed Google Earth, proper, but I don't think the whole Norad / Santa thing is part of the real app.
- This is a Powerbook running 10.4.11, and Firefox 3.5.6

Thanks for your help-
cgs
posted by cgs to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

It doesn't need to be, you can just load up the KML in Google Earth. It looks like it'll be posted on the 24th.

I've downloaded the plugin, but when I doubleclick on it, nothing happens.

What are you double-clicking? Is it the disk image, or a .pkg installer thing? If you're double clicking a disk image, all that will do is mount it, so you may need to go to the desktop and then double click the volume that was mounted to see what's inside.
posted by floam at 6:26 PM on December 23, 2009 [1 favorite]

If push comes to shove you can always go to the NORAD site directly and watch online.
posted by kch at 6:26 PM on December 23, 2009

I have an Intel Mac running 10.5.8, and the file this page prompts me to download is googleearth-mac-plugin-intel.dmg. Is that similar to the name of what it had you download?

If so, it's a .dmg, or disk image file. When I double-clicked it, it put a little blue removable drive icon on my desktop called "Google Earth" to indicate that my computer had "mounted" the disk image. On my Mac, it also then popped open a little blue Finder window with a box in the middle that said "Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin," with text below that said "Double-click the plugin to install it."

When I double-clicked that box, it brought up an alert window that said "'Plug-in Installer.app' is an application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? 'Plug-in Installer.app' is on the disk image 'googleearth-mac-plugin-intel.dmg'. Firefox.app downloaded this disk image today at 8:42 PM."

Below that, there were three buttons: "Show Disk Image," "Cancel," and "Open." When I clicked "Open," a Copy dialog box came up that indicated a file was being copied to a directory somewhere on my computer (probably the plugins directory, if I had to guess).

After that, I ejected the Google Earth disk image. Once I restart Firefox, I'll tell you what happened next when I visited Google Maps...
posted by limeonaire at 6:52 PM on December 23, 2009

Oh, I see now. It doesn't really let you do anything new on Google Maps, but on this page, you can check out the Earth...

In any case, I don't know the answer to your Norad/Santa question, but that's how I installed the Google Earth Web Plug-in on my Intel Mac...
posted by limeonaire at 6:54 PM on December 23, 2009

Ah, I see. You can see the Norad/Santa thing here in a little more than four hours, per the countdown here.
posted by limeonaire at 6:57 PM on December 23, 2009

When I visit the site in Chrome (I'm running 10.6.2 on one of the new iMacs), I get a message stating that "the plugin is not supported on your browser or platform". I don't get that in Safari, though. Are you on an Intel or PowerPC Mac?
posted by DecemberBoy at 7:18 PM on December 23, 2009

this is a powerpc mac. i am familiar w/ disk images... but for some reason when i doubleclick the plugin itself (per the instructions beneath it) the installer.app does not load up. i will try the KML-load advice and keep poking around.
posted by cgs at 4:56 AM on December 24, 2009

« Older Whilst looking to purchase an ...   |  My friend recently mentioned t... Newer »