I need an awesome junkyard in the DFW area (Dallas).

I live in Plano, TX, and I am looking for a place where I can basically harvest my own parts from a large scap yard.

I am looking for one of those junkyard places (auto salvage yards?) where you can go in, pay a nominal fee, and take parts off of junked cars in order to fix your own car. Basically, I have the skill, I don't have a lot of money, and I enjoy the game of repairing my own car.

(If you're interested, my multi-function switch in my new to me 2002 Ford Explorer is kaput. But it also took the right rear turn signal with it when it died.)

I don't mind 30 or so miles of one way travel to get to a cool yard. I would certainly revisit a place that was awesome and had nice people running it. If you're in the DFW Metroplex and know of a place like this, could you let me know?
posted by Jim On Light to Grab Bag (4 answers total)

Google gives you lots of options.
posted by Burhanistan at 7:38 PM on December 20, 2009

Sometimes those places also go by "pick and pull," so Googling that should give you more leads.
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 7:39 PM on December 20, 2009

For some reason I knew I was leaving myself up to the "google this" chorus - sometimes a recommendation for a great place that has no idea what the "internets" even are finds its way into MeFi. That was what I was hoping for!

I did find our Dallas Pick-N-Pull place. I found the part I needed (like 50 times over), had a great time by myself wandering among the car and truck graveyard, and the staff in the front was nice.
posted by Jim On Light at 7:28 PM on December 22, 2009

« Older Blueprint artwork for recipes ...   |  Public emotional blackmail fil... Newer »