Can I disable Firefox cache per-domain?

How can I set Firefox to not cache any pages from a certain domain?

I have to use a crap ticketing system written in .NET which doesn't work properly in Firefox.

If I clear cache between page views everything works fine. Once the site is loaded, the URL at the top never changes no matter where you navigate or what actions you perform, so I'm guessing Firefox doesn't know the page needs to be reloaded.

Is there an extension to Firefox that will let me set one particular domain so that it does not create cache items at all?
posted by odinsdream to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

Try the johnnycache extension.
posted by null terminated at 3:47 PM on December 17, 2009

Looked promising, but appears to be extremely buggy in just the few minutes I tried it out.
posted by odinsdream at 5:36 PM on December 17, 2009

Alternately, can you set your user agent string to IE7/8 to accommodate the .NET crap? (User Agent Switcher).
posted by Emperor SnooKloze at 6:46 PM on December 17, 2009

the URL at the top never changes no matter where you navigate or what actions you perform, so I'm guessing Firefox doesn't know the page needs to be reloaded.

No, that just means the site uses frames, which should have nothing at all to do with caching. Caching is all about what headers the server sends with each request response, and there are all kinds of headers that the server can use to tell whether a resource should or should not be cached and for how long, when it was last modified, and so on. Firefox obeys them all to the letter of the standard, which perhaps IE does not. It's also possible that if they're doing browser sniffing and altering behavior based on that then switching user agents will fix everything, so definitely try that.
posted by Rhomboid at 7:01 PM on December 17, 2009

Another option is to use the IETab extension, which will actually use IE's rendering in a FF tab. You can configure it to always use it on chosen domains.
posted by camcgee at 7:18 PM on December 17, 2009

No, that just means the site uses frames, which should have nothing at all to do with caching.

The page does not use frames. The action of every form used is the same tracker.aspx file that you start with. The application is written by someone clearly not interested in web standards, or web developing in general. It's a hodgepodge of crap.

In fact, it doesn't work at all on Firefox on a Mac, which I only recently discovered, so this might just be a dead end.
posted by odinsdream at 8:22 AM on December 19, 2009

« Older 2.26Ghz vs. 2.66Ghz Mac mini f...   |  Identify this late 70's-early ... Newer »