December 16, 2009 7:37 AM Subscribe
Train ride from Portland to Chicago. In coach. I don't want to buy food on the train. What should my food strategy be?
posted by mustcatchmooseandsquirrel to Food & Drink (22 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
1. Food should be vegetarian (no beef jerky!).
2. As far as I know, there are no microwaves or refrigerators that I can use.
3. Food should be sufficient to sustain me for the entirety of the 46 hour train ride
4. I won't have access to a kitchen or cooking supplies while in Portland.
5. I would like some variety (I've tried just doing fruits&nuts on previous long journeys [though not this long] and it got boring fast.
What delicious things can I bring with me to sustain myself for the entire 46 hour journey?